Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Quick question about periods and pregnancy tests

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Quick question about periods and pregnancy tests
Joan DC
Neophyte
Member # 108052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joan DC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are two negative pregnancy test results 4.5-5 weeks after sex accurate?

And along with a regular period around expected time - 4 days of typical flow plus 3 days of spotting - all signals of not being pregnant correct?

Just to clarify.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joan DC
Neophyte
Member # 108052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joan DC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you! Phew good to know I'm not pregnant! Anywho- another question. When is it normal to get some cramps before a period? Can it be two weeks before? Because I read somewhere it usually happens closer to the period coming. But for me it starts as early as 2 weeks before. And my breasts feel tender. I get a weird poking feeling on my belly button. And I just tend to be hungry more (but that could just be me being stressed out).

This is normal right?

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Joan,

There's no normal with cramps, or any other bodily experience. What's normal is whatever you experience, and sometimes what you experience is going to change over time, since your body isn't a machine and doesn't do the same thing day in and day out. [Smile]

In other words, there's nothing wrong or worrying about what you're describing here.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joan DC
Neophyte
Member # 108052

Okay sounds good!

Last question for now.

I've actually asked this before but the volunteer told me it could be an infection. It's about the poking feeling in my belly button. It started this past week or two.

It comes on and off. Nothing hugely painful. Just like a literal poking on my belly button.

Went to the doctor- and everything looks okay. Got a pelvic exam and tested for infections. All clear.

But it just won't stop?

When I look it up I get either appendicitis or somethjng pregnant people may feel.

But clearly as the negative test results show and my period- I'm not pregnant. Never heard of belly button poking as a symptom ever anyway. And I haven't had direct sexual intercourse since.

Do you have any idea on what it could be?

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I really couldn't tell you what that is.

Did your doctor have any ideas?

The reproductive organs are lower in the abdomen than the belly button, so it's possible that this sensation is not related to your menstrual cycle at all.
having said that, if you've found that this sensation does tend to match your menstrual cycle in some way, then it could be related. Our bodies aren't always predictable in what they do or how they respond to other changes.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joan DC
Neophyte
Member # 108052

The doctor thought it could be due to stress, some muscular issue, or something.

My sister said it could be related to my bladder since my bladder is right there. She's a nurse.

But okay- thank you.

Actually-At first I started getting paranoid about it since the things that came up when I searched for it was things that can happen to other people who are pregnant.
Which is why I asked my initial question and tests and periods to verify that I really am not pregnant and this is probably due to something else.

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

you're welcome.

if it persists, you can head back to your doctor and ask to have the issue explored some more.

--------------------
Robin

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.