Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » In need of help and advice

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: In need of help and advice
misscutiepie
Neophyte
Member # 108005

Icon 4 posted      Profile for misscutiepie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend 'went down' (licked out)on me a couple of days ago and I soon realised after I had open skin after a lump caused by an ingrown hair burst and seeped blood, the thing i'm nervous about is whether my boyfriends saliva coming in contact with the open skin could cause something like HIV :/ (it wasn't bleeding at the time i'm sure)
Posts: 13 | From: England | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HIV is a virus. That is what an HIV infection is caused by, like a cold is caused by a cold virus.

So, unless you or your boyfriend *have* HIV, HIV cannot be transmitted or acquired in this way.

Since it sounds like you two are engaging in unprotected oral sex, are you both current with tests for STIs, including HIV, so that you can know what you are or aren't likely at risk of?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
misscutiepie
Neophyte
Member # 108005

Icon 1 posted      Profile for misscutiepie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend has never been sexually active until he was with me so I gather it is unlikely he would have anything and as for me, it is also highly unlikely. Thereby considering that me and my boyfriend both are 'clean' can I safely say that there was no risk or a slim one?
Posts: 13 | From: England | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi misscutiepie,

Believing that you and your boyfriend are both unlikely to have any STIs isn't the same as having had those tests and knowing your results.

So, without that information we really can't tell you what your risks are here.

When talking about having or not having STIs, it's much more sound and respectful to talk about having negative or clear tests, or about not having STIs, than to say that one is "clean." Clean implies that people with STIs are dirty, which is not only untrue, but also really disrespectful and inflammatory when talking about STIs or people who have them.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
misscutiepie
Neophyte
Member # 108005

Icon 1 posted      Profile for misscutiepie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I greatly appologise I didn't want to imply that at all so I'm really sorry I just wasn't aware of the correct term, again I'm sorry. Am i right in saying that in order to get an Sti the person performing the sexual act has to have one? Providing me and my boyfriend both tested negative if we both test soon, can I say that there was no risk at that point?
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's correct that you can't get an STI from someone who doesn't have one, yes. So your best bet, at this point, is for both of you to get tested and go on from there.
Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
misscutiepie
Neophyte
Member # 108005

So negative tests would insure that there was no risk ?^^
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you both test negative for HIV, then there would have been no risk of HIV, yep.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
misscutiepie
Neophyte
Member # 108005

Is that the same in terms of STIs?
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yep!
Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.