Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Help Needed Please

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help Needed Please
clmclaug
Neophyte
Member # 108002

Icon 5 posted      Profile for clmclaug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there! So a few weeks ago i started to experience some odd discharge from my vagina. It's white and clumpy, kind of like cottage cheese. I dont have any other symptoms that are odd though. No burning, itching, bad odor, or inflammation. I thought it could be a yeast infection, but I dont think so anymore since I dont have any other symptoms.

I think I have gotten this before years ago and it turned out to be nothing but im not quite sure.

I am sexually active and for the past 3 months have only been sleeping with the same guy. We always use condoms, and always the correct way.

My periods arent always "normal" (i.e. equally spaced out or flow the same), but I havent gotten mine this month yet.

I really dont think i could be pregnant but im worried there's something going on maybe. I did travel far when my period was supposed to arrive, if it were to be exactly on time, so i think this may have something to do with changing my cycle. Also, im living with my sisters again instead of my roomates so that could chance it as well.

Im really just hoping for some info to what this could be. I've never been tested for things before and plan on finally making a gyno appt because i really should see one by now.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi clmclaug, and welcome to Scarleteen!

We can't really know what this discharge is without being doctors or being able to examine you. Certainly if you are sexually active and haven't yet seen a gynecologist, now's a great time to start getting sexual health care so it's good that you had this idea. =) That would be a great time to talk about this discharge and about getting up to date on your STI testing (which I'd also encourage your partner to do, if he hasn't done so either).

In the meantime, if you are worried about pregnancy and don't want to wait until your appointment to be tested, you can always buy a pregnancy test in a store to get results at home.

This article may also be helpful in easing your mind about your current discharge situation: Honorably Discharged: A Guide to Vaginal Secretions

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clmclaug
Neophyte
Member # 108002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clmclaug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you! I was just wondering also though, what you think my chances are of being pregnant. I would just like some peace of mind if any
Posts: 5 | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In perfect use, for one year, condoms are 98% effective. In typical use, over one year, around 85% effective.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You say you've been using condoms and using them properly, so if you'll look at this article on Condoms you'll see the effectiveness rate for proper use. Other than that percentage, there's no other way to know - I can't see what's happening in your uterus any better than you can. =)

So again, if you're really worried about pregnancy, your best plan is to either wait for your period to arrive or pick up a test at the drugstore.

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clmclaug
Neophyte
Member # 108002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clmclaug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.