Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Pregnancy risk

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pregnancy risk
Levin942903
Neophyte
Member # 107956

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Levin942903     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's going to be a long post so bear with me, sorry for the inconvenience caused.
My gf and I had protected sex on the 22nd of May which was on the 19th day since she had her period. After that, I read posts online regarding condoms and pregnancy risk and start to fear about her getting pregnant.
I did not have any genital contact with her until I put the condom on, then I used the withdrawal method as well. My concerns are whether the precum would end up on the outside layer of the condom while putting it on.
On the 23rd of May, she took prostinor 2, which was about 30 hours after sex. And six days later she started having heavy bleeding which could be the withdrawal bleeding or the earlier menstruation caused by the pill.
After the bleeding stopped which lasted for 5 days, I start to wonder " what if " the bleeding was implantation bleeding. Then started to worry for another 1 month, and on the 26th of June she had her period which was the time she would expect her period, exact 28 days. The period lasted for 6 days, started brown and then normal menstrual bleeding. I was relieved at that time, and out of no reason I start to wonder whether if she would get pregnant still..
I then found out something called decidual bleeding, which worries me right until now.
She hasn't had any of symptoms such as dizzyness, nausea or metallic taste in her mouth. Until 2 days ago, I pinched her nipple and she complained pain in her nipple when she pinches it. Could be a sign of pregnancy?
Took 10 HPT and it came out negative and some with lines but no color which I believed was evaporation line. Then took clearblue digital pregnancy tester, and it was negative.
Is there any possible way she can be pregnant?

--------------------
Levin

Posts: 9 | From: Malaysia | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Levin, welcome to scarleteen!

You really don't need to be ck Verne's about decidual bleeding from pregnancy here. There was not a viable risk in what you described to begin with because you used a condom correctly from what it sounds like for all contact and it didn't break or slip off (and you used the withdrawal method as back-up.)

Also, when a woman has a normal period then she can know she's not pregnant. A period is the shedding of the lining that builds up in the uterus during the cycle. This is the same lining that the fertilized egg plants into when fertilized, so if the lining is shed there's no safe place for the egg to implant to begin splitting and growing. So that with the negative tests you can relax there's no worry.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3426 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Levin942903
Neophyte
Member # 107956

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Levin942903     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I had read, decidual bleeding mimics menstruation, I don't know how true is that, but does decidual bleeding always happen during the menstruation time or it will be irregular?

--------------------
Levin

Posts: 9 | From: Malaysia | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If decidual bleeding happens at the same time a period is expected, that's purely coincidence. Bleeding during pregnancy, if it happens at all, doesn't follow a pattern. However, it's clear your girlfriend is not pregnant: she's had periods and several negative tests.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5738 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Levin942903
Neophyte
Member # 107956

I feel better after hearing opinions from you guys, here are some things I wanna clarify.
Can decidual bleeding actually resemble menstruation in terms of Load and how long it Lasted?
My gf had her period on 26th of June which lasted for 6 days starting with brown dried wipe during urination and so on. She mentioned that on the 2nd day of her period, she wore a night pad in the day and approx 5 hours the pad is totally filled up.

The other thing is would the precum actually get her pregnant if I accidentally have precum on my finger and while wearing the condom I left some sperm outside the condom?
As mentioned above, I checked for leaks after the deed and no leaks were found. I was using durex extra safe condom at that time.
It was to my surprise that some ppl claims that condom has tiny pores which enables sperm to sip through.

Hoping to hear more advice from you guys

--------------------
Levin

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I understanding correctly that your girlfriend has already taken one -- or ten? -- pregnancy tests and gotten negative results?

If so, then if she followed the directions on those tests, you both can know and need to accept she is not pregnant.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67994 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Levin942903
Neophyte
Member # 107956

I really don't quite understand what others say like decimal bleeding can affect the hpt readings.
I can't get myself to think properly after reading from other websites. Is it even true in anyway?

Patricia H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patricia H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, Levin942903, with the vast amount of information available on the Internet, not everything you read can be held liable to be legitimate and reliable information. I'm providing you a link to an article that we've created to help our users better determine valid sites to get information from on the Internet in the future.

Legit or Unfit? Finding Safe, Sound Sex Educators & Support Online

--------------------
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum. - Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale

Posts: 231 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Levin942903
Neophyte
Member # 107956

My main concern right now is whether her bleeding was actually decidual bleeding.
I would appreciate some info about this bleeding in terms of the amount of blood and how long it lasts.
That would allow me to interpret if the bleeding was menstruation or decidual bleeding.
Thank you in advance.

--------------------
Levin

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi Levin,

There's already been more than one negative pregnancy test here, correct? That's a much more sound indicator to anyone whether there is pregnancy than trying to figure out what a certain amount of bleding means, which really is impossible to do.

In other words, the way people tell if they're pregnant or not, if they don't feel comfortable just going by the fact that they've gotten a period, is to take a pregnancy test. This has already been done, so you already have your answer.
Know too that with taking any sort of emergency contraception the menstrual cycle will be altered for a few months after taking it, which can include periods coming earlier or later than expected, spotting between periods, and other similar changes.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.