Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Question on Pregnancy Risks article?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question on Pregnancy Risks article?
kxtherine
Neophyte
Member # 107815

Icon 5 posted      Profile for kxtherine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have read the "Can I Get Pregnant, Or Get Or Pass On An STI from that" article several times, and I have a question on the "frottage & tribbing" and how it causes a moderate risk of pregnancy.

I've also read the "Where DID I Come From?" article, and it says that the sperm has to get into the vagina in order to cause pregnancy.

If that's the case, how does genital-to-genital contact pose a moderate risk? Especially if there was no ejaculation? & also, in terms of percentage, what would a "moderate risk" be?

I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm questioning your articles (I am not), I just want some clarification because it has been confusing me for awhile.

[ 07-22-2013, 06:07 AM: Message edited by: kxtherine ]

Posts: 12 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Kxtherine,

It's okay to ask questions if something doesn't seem clear. [Smile]

When bare genitals are rubbing together, they are in close proximity. So, if there is sperm in pre-ejaculate, or there is an ejaculation, it doesn't have far to travel to enter the vagina. It's impossible to know whether any pre-ejaculate contained sperm, whether that sperm was viable, or whether that sperm-containing-pre-ejaculate actually made it into the vagina. Additionally, unless the person with the vulva charts their cervical mucus and basal body temperature daily, and has been doing so for several months, they won't know where they are in their cycle in terms of fertility.

In short, there's no way to know whether all of the things you read about in the Where Did I Come From article needed for a pregnancy to occur are present, so when engaging in a sexual activity in which bare genitals are coming into contact with each other, if one does not want to get pregnant, one will want to avoid those activities or use one or more methods of birth control.

Does this help?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kxtherine
Neophyte
Member # 107815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kxtherine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So basically, there's a chance that the fluid that came in contact with the vulva, would leak through into the vagina? Thus the moderate risk of pregnancy?

But thank you for the reply, it's much clearer to me now [Smile]

Posts: 12 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's really no "leaking through."

Think of it more like this: if you spilled water on your fingertips, it could easily run down unto your palm or the back of your hand, and certainly drip from one digit of your finger to the next.

Semen deposited on the vulva -- when it is -- is semen left right near the vagina, if not right at he vaginal opening. It's fluid -- and then there are also vaginal fluids to add, too boot, so it getting from one place an inch or a few centimeters away from another place? Easy.

The vagina isn't some massively separate place from the rest of the vulva. It's part of the vulva, and the whole of that genital anatomy: the anus, perineum, inner and outer labia, vestibule, clitoris and vaginal opening are all within just inches of each other.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68212 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kxtherine
Neophyte
Member # 107815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kxtherine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much for the analogy, Heather. I understand the concept much more now [Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.