Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Pregnancy scared clarification + ovulation signs / middle pain

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pregnancy scared clarification + ovulation signs / middle pain
Sunday Morning
Activist
Member # 107774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sunday Morning     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I'm ovulating (I think). I have a few questions:

1) Is it normal to have a kind of cramp in the middle of the cycle - around the time of ovulation? I've heard of middle pain - and how it can be sudden and one-sided. Well that's what I'm feeling now. Is this normal? I also feel an increase in discharge.

2) I had oral sex and manual sex today. My boyfriend fingered me. I'm pretty sure he didn't have any pre-ejaculate on his hands. We both had our underwear on the whole time. I would've noticed if he reached in his underwear. Well - in the off-chance that they may have been trace amounts - that does NOT pose a pregnancy risk - correct?

It would be unnecessary to take plan B - right? I'm just paranoid right now.

Posts: 57 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1) Some people do have a bit of cramping with ovulation, so it's entirely possible that's the cause here. Sometimes cramps just happen for no obvious reason, too, so unless you're in a lot of pain I wouldn't say it's anything to worry about.

2) That's correct. Plan B is not necessary here.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunday Morning
Activist
Member # 107774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sunday Morning     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it normal to have increased discharge during ovulation time? I had a lot of discharge yesterday. But then again - I also had a lot of oral and manual sex. That's all normal right? Like I could literally feel the discharge coming out.
Posts: 57 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, that can certainly happen after sex and throughout the cycle different times. If it doesn't have a bad odor, off color, or isn't chunky or really very profuse its normal discharge.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you haven't seen them yet, these two pieces can give you that information:

• Honorably Discharged: A Guide to Vaginal Secretions
• On the Rag: A Guide to Menstruation

I'd just add that since you've been sexually active, if you are NOT current with your sexual healthcare, like your GYN exam and STI tests, if discharge you don't usually see persists, or the cramping continues, we'd advise getting current with that healthcare to rule out an infection as the cause.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunday Morning
Activist
Member # 107774

Also - I talked to someone on planned parenthood and they said this and I got confused:

"Pregnancy is possible anytime sperm enters the vagina or gets on the vulva, the area around the vaginal opening. If you or your partner’s hands are wet with semen or pre-ejaculate and touch your vagina, then pregnancy is possible. But if the semen has dried or your hands have been washed since touching semen or pre-ejaculate, then pregnancy would be extremely unlikely.'

It says if the hands are wet with semen OR pre-ejaculate and touches the vagina - pregnancy is possible. I thought it really wasn't.

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you guys need to understand how cautious those of us in this work need to be, particularly around liability.

Technically, it is not impossible for pregnancy to happen that way, Therefore, even though it's so unlikely that it's nearly impossible, we still can't say it is impossible much of the time.

Because most of us, be it Scarleteen, Planned Parenthood, or other credible organizations where people are actually held responsible for information they provide do not want to put our organizations at risk with lawsuits.

[ 07-16-2013, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunday Morning
Activist
Member # 107774

Ah I understand. So it's really a matter of wording, then. It's not technically impossible (therefore somewhat possible), but it is highly unlikely.

Have you ever heard of anyone who has gotten pregnant this way?

I'm assuming no - right? Because as your website says if I understand correctly - it's not direct transfer (from vaginal intercourse or direct ejaculation)?

Heather
Member # 3

No, I most certainly have not.

I can say, with great confidence, that the many, many users we have had over the years worried about these things?

Have never, ever reported a pregnancy from them, and their problem has clearly been either a lack of education, an ongoing phobia or anxiety issue, engaging in sex before they really feel okay about it and are ready, an issue of a crappy or problematic relationship, or all of the above.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Sunday Morning
Activist
Member # 107774

Thank you so much. This is really, truly reassuring for me.
Heather
Member # 3

Btw, I see in another post of yours you talking about engaging in at least one kind of sex you don't really like engaging in for your own sake.

That's a clue, a good one, I'd say, to you that some of this panic may be less about pregnancy and more about doing things you feel anxious about because you're not really into them and doing them for yourself as much as for a partner.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.