Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » pap smear bleeding but no withdrawal bleed?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pap smear bleeding but no withdrawal bleed?
myops14
Neophyte
Member # 107823

Icon 1 posted      Profile for myops14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on the NuvaRing for almost a year now and am good at putting it in/taking it out at the right times. In general it has made my periods very light - to where they last maybe a day max, and just one light tampon needed, but they are always very consistently on the same day of my 'cycle'. I had sex without a condom back in May with my boyfriend and he came inside me, but I was not worried about pregnancy because of the NuvaRing. The next week I went to have a pap smear and routine STI tests with a new doctor (a couple of days after removing the ring) and it was painful and made me bleed a lot. She said this was normal but it has never happened to me before - it was fresh blood and heavier than my period. My period was supposed to be a few days later but never came (perhaps it was with the pap smear bleeding?) which got me worried so I tested with a HPT at 14 and 17 days after, both negative. I am now in a very developing country for the summer where finding a pregnancy test (and one that is reliable based on storage conditions) would be difficult. My next period was also non existent and I probably wouldn't have noticed it except for a spot or two on a tampon I inserted just in case. I brought an HPT test with me which was negative a month after, but it has been in heat since there isn't always AC where I am either, so I'm not sure if that changes its effectiveness.

Can I rely on the tests I took earlier before I left? Is it easy to screw them up (like peeing on them for too long or something? or heat? the one control line worked all times)

Also, Is it normal for a pap smear to cause bleeding like that? I might switch to a different doctor for my next one.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi myops14
and welcome to Scarleteen,

So long as you followed the instructions given on the hPT packages, you can expect that you got accurate results. You would need to call the company that made the test to find out if heat could have negatively impacted it; the manufacturers would have that kind of information and it wouldn't be sound for me to guess either way. [Smile] Was there any information on the package about storage instructions?

I'd say, though, that since you got consistently negative results, it's likely you're not pregnant. I'm not psychic though, so I can't say whether you are or not, and we can only go on what the tests told you.

Even while on hormonal birth control, withdrawal bleeds can change due to other factors. You are, for example, travelling right now so your eating and sleeping patterns are probably different. Any changes like that can affect hormones and lead to changes.

Was that your first pap test? Some bleeding afterwards isn't unusual. You've said the bleeding was heavy. how long did it last?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
myops14
Neophyte
Member # 107823

Icon 1 posted      Profile for myops14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, I guess there is no reason to think the NuvaRing failed and no reason to think the first two tests at least did not work properly.

I have had a few pap smears before and all were good experiences - never even felt a thing. The bleeding was heavy enough to need a pad for the rest of the day and with some residual the next morning, but it was all 'fresh' blood as opposed to my normal period blood. Could I have bled more because I was about to get to my period anyways and thus I was more sensitive?

Thanks! Your site is an amazing resource!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.