Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Period on birth control

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Period on birth control
Meggo12
Neophyte
Member # 107736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meggo12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on birth control for 6 months. Sunday I started my inactive pills. On Monday I had some stretchy discharge and later a little bit of pink. Also My boyfriend and I fooled around and he got precum on my spandex. Today is Tuesday and I have started my period. Even though we fooled around yesterday does the bleeding today mean that I am not pregnant, or do I have to wait until next time to figure it out. My periods do not last long on the pill only about a day and they are light.

--------------------
Meg

Posts: 9 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patricia H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patricia H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Precum on spandex is not a viable means of getting pregnant, so you didn't have a pregnancy risk. The bleeding and/or lack thereof are less symptomatic of the activity than you being on birth control.

--------------------
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum. - Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale

Posts: 215 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meggo12
Neophyte
Member # 107736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meggo12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So it can not go through that thin material and thin underwear? But please answer if it did, if this period means I am not from that time? I am just stressing out! Do I need to get plan B

--------------------
Meg

Posts: 9 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Meg,

This is the same precum-on-shorts incident you mentioned here, right? You don't need to analyze your withdrawal bleed in this case, since as was explained there, you don't have a risk.

If you need to remind yourself, here's what is and isn't a pregnancy risk: Can I Get Pregnant, or Get or Pass On an STI From That? Or you can head back to that thread and read Robin's and Heather's responses there, since the facts haven't changed since then. =)

[ 07-09-2013, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: Molias ]

Posts: 1125 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meggo12
Neophyte
Member # 107736

So it can not go through that thin material and thin underwear? But please answer if it did, if this period means I am not from that time? I am just stressing out! Do I need to get plan B

--------------------
Meg

Meggo12
Neophyte
Member # 107736

Ah thanks. I just need to try to relax and not be so paranoid

--------------------
Meg

Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you go back and read those two links I posted above? Those will answer your question.
Posts: 1125 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meggo12
Neophyte
Member # 107736

Thank you I just read them. I guess I have been looking too much on the internet, I've seen a lot of post that said sperm can definitely get pregnant from that, and other people who think I am even crazy for asking.

--------------------
Meg

Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

The thing about information on the internet is that it isn't all accurate; there are a lot of sites where anyone can contribute information or stories with no oversight. If you know you're prone to worrying about this, I think it's probably best to take a break from looking up information online.

It also may be a good idea to evaluate how ready you feel for any sexual activity, whether or not it poses a risk of pregnancy; sometimes when people have really persistent pregnancy fears they're feeling like things are moving a little too quickly in general.

Meggo12
Neophyte
Member # 107736

I agree. But you think I am okay? Can sperm even get through any kind of material?

--------------------
Meg

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems like you're doing something a lot of people do, which is to think of sperm cells like virsues or parasites.

But they're not. pregnancy is about WAY more than sperm cells, and it's not about sperm cells "infecting" someone by contact.

Fabric in and of itself isn't a totally impermeable barrier to sperm cells. But it doesn't need to be. All that needs to happen for a pregnancy to occur simply cannot happen this way.

As we've already made clear, there wasn't a pregnancy risk here. But it's not something to ask us to keep saying until you believe us, or to ask us to convince you of, but for you to work on accepting.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67076 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.