Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Pill left in car

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pill left in car
LemonAndLimeSweets
Neophyte
Member # 47664

Icon 4 posted      Profile for LemonAndLimeSweets     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I've been traveling this weekend, and have had my pill (Rigevidon) in my handbag for around 3 and a half hours in the hot car (app on phone says 24 C but could have been a bit higher). Also, I got home at 12 am last night and didn't realise that my pill pack had fallen out of my bag, so left them over night and until about 1.30pm. They weren't in direct sunlight, but the car was very hot.

Have these instances affected the effectiveness of my pill?

The package and the pills themselves look normal, and the packet wasnt hot to the touch

Thanks

Posts: 20 | From: Wales | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi LemonAndLimeSweets,

What does the information in your pill pack say about storage?

I don't actually know whether this has affected your pill's effectiveness, and really no one could know for sure without testing them in some way.

What I'd suggest is that you call a pharmacist and ask them whether this negatively impacted your pills. They're the ones who know the most about medication storage, effectiveness, and so on.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LemonAndLimeSweets
Neophyte
Member # 47664

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LemonAndLimeSweets     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Robin,

It says store it below 25C on the leaflet. I'm not sure if it got above this. It doesn't give any advice about what to do if it gets hot.

Thanks

Posts: 20 | From: Wales | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LemonAndLimeSweets
Neophyte
Member # 47664

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LemonAndLimeSweets     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Robin,

It says store it below 25C on the leaflet. I'm not sure if it got above this. It doesn't give any advice about what to do if it gets hot.

Thanks

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they were in a hot care for a whole day, or days, I'd be concerned. Given it was only hours, I personally see no cause for concern.

If you're sexually active, do you back up your pills with condom use? If not, know this is one of many reasons it's a good idea to do that. That way, you don't even have to worry about maybes like this because you know you're already covered, in the case something does go wonky with your pill.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since you don't know if it got above that, you'll need to do what you're most comfortable with. That is, you'll need to decide if you're comfortable taking the rest of the pack or using another pack.

What I will say is that, in general, the recommendations given on medication packaging are going to have a margin around them. That is, it's not likely that birth control pills have been found to be rendered ineffective at 25 or 26 degrees.

Again, though, the best person to consult for advice is a pharmacist as this is their area of expertise.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LemonAndLimeSweets
Neophyte
Member # 47664

Thanks Heather and Robin.

Can I just start a new pill packet from where I left off and throw away the ones I took with me? Will I still be covered?

LemonAndLimeSweets
Neophyte
Member # 47664

Can I just start a new pill packet from where I left off and throw away the ones I took with me? Will I still be covered?

LemonAndLimeSweets
Neophyte
Member # 47664

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That should be just fine, but again, as always, the very best person to contact about this kind of thing will be your pharmacist or prescribing physician.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LemonAndLimeSweets
Neophyte
Member # 47664

Thanks Heather. I will check with my pharmacist, but I can't see them until tomorrow, so need to know what to do with my pill tonight.

Thank you both very much for your help (:

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.