Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Post Pill Amenorrhea

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Post Pill Amenorrhea
wonder_woman
Activist
Member # 98600

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wonder_woman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there scarleteen! I was wondering about Post Pill Amenorrhea. basically, I stopped using my pill mid-pack (i didn't realize that it's best to stop at the end of the pack.) I had what I assumed was a withdrawal bleed "periods" a few days after stopping, but nothing since for more than a month. How common is this, really? Should I worried here?
Posts: 41 | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi wonder_woman,

This is not uncommon. It can take a few months after stopping any sort of hormonal birth control for a body's hormonal systems to sort themselves out.

Also, amenorrhea is generally when someone has missed several periods in a row (I can't recall just now what the diagnostic criteria are) so what you're experiencing right now isn't technically amenorrhea as I understand it.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wonder_woman
Activist
Member # 98600

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wonder_woman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok thanks. I've read on these boards a few times that after activities that are listed as not significant pregnancy risk activities, that if your period goes MIA then in might make sense to test yourself for pregnancy.

I suppose in my situation coming off of birth control can be thought of as the cause of an MIA period, and wouldn't really call for a test since the only sexual activity I've had falls under the "no significant risk" category, right?

Posts: 41 | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.