Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Ejaculating before sex

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ejaculating before sex
capsicom21
Neophyte
Member # 107661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for capsicom21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I am planning to have sex with my gf. I just wanted to ask, if i ejaculate before sex (e.g into the toilet bowl), and urinate, and wash my penis with soap, then have sex WITH a condom, what are the chances she can get pregnant? Thanks.
Posts: 9 | From: Tunisia | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, we don't have effectiveness statistics for any of that except condom use because things like washing your penis or ejaculating first aren't methods of contraception. In other words, those aren't things we know make any difference when it comes to preventing pregnancy.

And without actual studies on effectiveness, we couldn't possibly tell you about what difference they might or might not make.

So, let's perhaps focus just on condoms for now: condoms, in perfect use, are 98% effective, in one year, at preventing pregnancy, and, in typical use (we can talk about what that means if you like), are around 85% effective in one year.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
capsicom21
Neophyte
Member # 107661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for capsicom21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi heather thanks for your reply.. I wanna know from a theoretical point of view. Is it true that after you urinate, the acid in the urine kills whatever sperm that's left in the urethra? And is it true that it takes a long time before a male can achieve orgasm again after ejaculation? If there's no ejaculation into the female there shouldn't be pregnant chances right? And plus I AM going to use a condom.
Thanks

Posts: 9 | From: Tunisia | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi capsicom21,

yes, in general, urination is known to eliminate any sperm that may be left over in the urethra from a previous ejaculation. Whether this is because the acid in the urine kills them, or whether it's just that the act of urination flushes the sperm out, I really couldn't tell you.
For your second question; orgasm and ejaculation are two different processes, though they can, for many people, happen at the same time. however, many people do experience orgasm, ejaculation, or both, a short time after they've previously experienced them. There's no way to give you a general answer on that, as everyone's body is different.
In other words, it's not sound to assume that because one has just ejaculated one won't ejaculate again for a while.

Would you like to talk about how to use condoms to ensure you're using them properly so as to make as sure as you can that pregnancy won't occur?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
capsicom21
Neophyte
Member # 107661

Alright thanks Robin.
Yeah lets talk about condoms and how to use them properly please, cuz heather says its 98% safe if perfect use. Just wondering what does it mean by perfect use? And how exactly do condoms fail? i mean do they rupture from sex being too rough or? And how about pulling out WITH a condom just before ejaculation?
Thanks!

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This should answer your questions about how condoms work: Condom Basics: A User's Manual

As for pulling out with a condom: that can be tricky to time. And when you are in the heat of the moment, you run the risk of the condom slipping off, which would then increase your risk. Since condoms are designed to be ejaculated into, it's really best to stay put until you're all done, and then pull out carefully while holding on to the base of the condom.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
capsicom21
Neophyte
Member # 107661

Hi Joey,
Yes I've read the manual already..
Anyway do what are the main causes of condom failure? Does it fail if sex gets too rough? I should use lubrication right to achieve perfect use? If I time withdrawal properly with my hands holding the base when I do, will there be lower risk of pregnancy?
Thanks

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As that piece you read explains, yes, using lubricant with condoms is an important part of using them in a way where they are most likely to be most effective.

You might also want to take a look at this recent piece, and the links at the bottom, which talk more about how condoms typically fail, when they do, and mistakes people commonly make when using them.

http://www.scarleteen.com/blog/heather_corinna/2013/06/27/this_way_not_that_way_avoiding_one_of_the_most_common_condom_oops

(And just for the record, very aggressive intercourse is something that isn't going to feel good for many receptive partners. I'm not sure we have condom data on that, but I'd suggest you figure that's not something many of your partners are probably likely to enjoy, especially frequently, anyway.)

By all means, combining withdrawal with condom use is a way to use two methods to increase the effectiveness of both.

More on that and other combined methods can be found here: The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method

However, perfect use of *withdrawal* means withdrawing WELL before ejaculation, not just before or at the time of ejaculation. Doing that wouldn't be using withdrawal properly (and it's one of the two least effective methods of all outside proper use), and would make it more likely your condom would break or slip off, even holding the base.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.