Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » reason to be scared? can I trust the test?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: reason to be scared? can I trust the test?
Sunday Morning
Activist
Member # 107774

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Sunday Morning     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey - new to here. Just a rundown on my situation and in need of extra reassurance.

So, at the end of my period, I had sex with my boyfriend.
We used a condom the entire time, but it was slipping off and getting a bit crumpled - about halfway. It never completely came off though.
After awhile, we stopped and he never ejaculated.
He did finger me at some point - and we were worried that he may have had precum on his hands - though highly doubt it, so a few hours later, I took Plan B.

After that day, a few days later, I end up getting some irregular bleeding - almost like my period but not as heavy. I don't think it's my period because it happened right after I ended mine, but just pointing it out.

Fast forward to about two and a half weeks after the incident.. maybe 17-18 days after, I take two pregnancy tests and both came out negative.

I should be getting my period soon, but I can't really predict my period well right now since during my last cycle, I was a little late due to a lot of stress I was under (finals season and whatnot), and I know Plan B can cause changes in the menstrual cycle.

So here are my questions:
1) Did I have a pregnancy risk? Is it okay that the condom slipped halfway, but not completely off, especially since he didn't ejaculate? I know that fingering, even with precum on it, is no risk to extremely low risk. And I did take Plan B. I just want another opinion on it.

2) Can I consider the Plan B bleeding proof that it worked? The bleeding wasn't just light spotting or brown discharge - it was legit fresh blood bleeding - I changed my pad maybe twice or three times a day.

3) Can I be fairly sure that my pregnancy tests were accurate? I took it before my period would be due, but I did take it after 14 days like this site often suggests. I just want to make sure I can safely assume it was accurate since I did wait a little longer than 14 days, and it is hard to really predict my period.

Posts: 57 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey asdfg10,

So with the condom slipping it got riskier because with the added friction on the condom it would be more likely to split... however from what you said it didn't split.

I don't think it's quite right to say there wasn't a risk because any sex using condoms carries the risk of the condom breaking and being exposed to STIs and potential unwanted pregnancy.

But as the condom didn't break... it was a risk that didn't play out with the worst outcome.

So I would expect the condom to have been effective and given that he didn't ejaculate I wouldn't think that the likelihood of pregnancy was any greater than if you hadn't had any condom troubles at all.

As you took plan B and 2 negative pregnancy tests, I think that says "not pregnant" as much as anything can.

I don't really know about bleeding after plan B being proof that it worked or not but it should work especially as you took it so soon.

Finally I'm not sure our assurances can make pregnancy tests any more reliable than you already know they are.

I wonder if it might be helpful if you considered an extra form of birth control for yourself if pregnancy is an on-going worry for you. Also if your partner's condom is slipping off that he might consider a different size condom.

Anyway here's some articles on pregnancy and sti risk:

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advice/can_i_get_pregnant_or_get_or_pass_on_an_sti_from_that
http://www.scarleteen.com/article/body/chicken_soup_for_the_pregnancy_symptom_freakouts_soul

Posts: 694 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunday Morning
Activist
Member # 107774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sunday Morning     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So if I understand you correctly - I can be pretty sure I'm not pregnant? The risk wasn't huge. I did take Plan B. And I did get two negative pregnancy tests more than 14 days after the incident?

I do indeed plan on getting on another set of birth control.
I'm waiting for my period to come within the next week or so. I'll probably do another pregnancy test just in case, but I can be sure that the negative pregnancy tests are accurate?

Posts: 57 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you took the tests correctly, you can be very sure that the results are accurate. It would be incredibly unusual for two pregnancy tests to give you the same inaccurate reading.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunday Morning
Activist
Member # 107774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sunday Morning     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay- and doing it after 17-18 days was a sufficient amount of time to wait to take it? Even before my period?
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
here's some information about pregnancy tests that will likely help you with these lingering uncertainties you're having:

Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunday Morning
Activist
Member # 107774

Okay sounds good. Well, last question. On a normal 28 day cycle I would've had my period this weekend.
However last cycle, my period cycle was around 35-37 days - a bit late.
I haven't gotten my period yet. Would I consider it late at this point? Or considering that my cycle is a little irregular, my period isn't late yet? I should wait another week or so?

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have any sense, over the last six months or so, of the range of your cycles, per how long they have been?

If you don't, or you've been highly irregular during that time, then really, it's just going to be very hard to figure if a period is late or not.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunday Morning
Activist
Member # 107774

Well it's been strange, cuz I've usually had my period earlier in the month. But over the last few months it started arriving mid-month or towards the end of the month. So I've been shifting from something like 28 days to somewhere in the 30s.
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, sounds like you've been in a bit of a cycle change. That really means we, or you, just can't know right now if your period is late or not.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunday Morning
Activist
Member # 107774

Okay - so the first set of pregnancy tests that I took we're around 18 days after the incident. Both came out negative and according to this site I can assume it's accurate because it's after 14 days?

If I take another set this week- about 25+ days after, I can be pretty sure I'm not pregnant, correct?

Heather
Member # 3

I think we've already spoken to our feelings about this, and made pretty clear we strongly feel it's a given at this point you're not pregnant.

Honestly, I'd say that at this point, if you still aren't feeling sure about that, since I hear you saying you want to investigate a method of birth control anyway, your best bet would be to make an appointment with a sexual healthcare provider, where you can also talk about that, but also have them run a last test if you like.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Sunday Morning
Activist
Member # 107774

Thank you so much. I've just been a little paranoid but this conversation definitely helps ease my mind!
Sunday Morning
Activist
Member # 107774

Okay- I know you already told me I can't be pregnant.
I took two tests 26 days after the incident and another two 28 days after- all of which came out negative.

What is linea Negra btw? I read about it and It made me more paranoid because I have a faint line close to my belly button to my pubic area. However I think I'm just overreacting and it may be due to an indentation from my pants all the time.
So it is correct that linea Negra only shows up later in pregnancy and it would be impossible to get a negative test when it's present?

Still haven't gotten my period. Getting major cramps though!

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the thing to remember here is that a pregnancy test is what tells you that you're pregnant or not, not any sorts of changes in your body. Those changes can be for all sorts of reasons, and when pregnancy isn't a possibility, pregnancy isn't one of those reasons.

So, really, I think your soundest course of action here is to stop reading about pregnancy, stop thinking about it as a possibility, and just hang on and wait for your period. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunday Morning
Activist
Member # 107774

Thank you. I understand. Stressing out about it so much is not making it good for me and might even be causing my period to get outta whack.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

You're welcome. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Sunday Morning
Activist
Member # 107774

Okay - so I know I can't be pregnant.

I already took a bunch of tests well over the 14 day time frame, and all came out negative - the most recent set being A WHOLE MONTH after the incident.

But how come my period hasn't come yet?
I haven't had sex since. The most Ive had is manual - and I already know from your articles and posts that manual sex doesn't pose a pregnancy risk.

So I'm bloated.
I've been getting cramps.
PMS signs pretty much.
Yet still haven't started my period.

Could it be Plan B? Stress? Both?

This scare is really freaking me out. Please please please reassure me right now.

Sunday Morning
Activist
Member # 107774

Do I count the bleeding right after I took plan b over a month ago as my period for the month(even though it was RIGHT after my last period ended)? It bled for like 5 days - like real bleeding. It was like I got my periods right after another.

Does that also affect when I get my next period?

Patricia H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patricia H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Taking plan B in itself is going to affect your next period. If you add the effects of a super concentrated hormonal pill, plus your own anxieties and stress levels to the mix, you can be sure your period is going to be messed with big time, and it will be a while for your body to get regulated again. Maybe it will take a month, maybe several months; every body is different, but I can tell you this much: bleeding or no bleeding, the effects aren't going to last forever.

And if this is of any solace to you, search our message boards for the term "Plan B". You'll find about 300 other users who, just like you, came to us about plan B. Perhaps taking the time to skim through and look at what other users went through might help you to put yourself at ease.

--------------------
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum. - Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale

Posts: 234 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunday Morning
Activist
Member # 107774

What about the bleeding after plan b? It was like my period- 5 days typical flow though not as a heavy. Do I count that as a "period?" It happened right after my last one ended though.
Patricia H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patricia H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, bleeding, too. Depending on how you define a period, you may or may not count it as one. Do realize, however, that you are bleeding because of the side effects of plan B instead of the body's natural cycle.

Did you manage to do a quick search for "Plan B" on our message boards?

And if you're still unsure, please call your local pharmacist and/or healthcare provider for answers.

--------------------
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum. - Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale

Posts: 234 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunday Morning
Activist
Member # 107774

Phew! So I started my period on Monday.

Thank you all for the help! [Smile]

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

you're welcome.

--------------------
Robin

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.