Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Test accuracy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Test accuracy
Fleurette
Neophyte
Member # 40235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fleurette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I had protected sex with my boyfriend last month. We used condoms correctly and for every encounter over the course of two days. My period was supposed to come last week, on the 28th, I rarely freak out about it being late, since it's not unusual for it to take 1 to 3 extra days to come. It's been four days and my period still has not come. I took a digital pregnancy test on the 30th (21 days after the last sexual activity I had) and it came out negative. I know there are several factors that influence the delay of a period, but it has never taken this long for me and I'm very worried. I'm planning to take another hpt tomorrow, buy my question is, should I just get a blood test instead? Will the result be accurate at this point (either with the blood or hpt)? I don't know what to do. Thanks in advance for any information or help.
Posts: 13 | From: Mexico | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A test will be accurate at at least 14 days after the risk, or the first day of a missed period. Since at this point it has been more than two weeks AND your period late, you can be sure that you waited long enough to test.

There are plenty of reasons why a period may be late. Check it out: M.I.A or, Dude, Where's My Period?

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9166 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fleurette
Neophyte
Member # 40235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fleurette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for replying, first of all. I did read the article beforehand, it's just that I've been through major stress before and yet my period always comes. If I do take a blood test, how much longer should I wait? Or will it be accurate regardless?
Posts: 13 | From: Mexico | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could go to a doctor and ask for a blood test. However, if you had protected sex and you have tested negatively since, there is really no reason to suspect pregnancy.

And even the most regular period can sometimes be a bit late, so I don't see a cause for concern.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Posts: 9166 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fleurette
Neophyte
Member # 40235

Guess all I can do is wait. Thank you so much for your reply and the info [Smile]
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

You're welcome. And you said you were planning on retesting tomorrow, so maybe a second negative result will also help put your mind at ease!

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.