Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » SOS where is my period?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SOS where is my period?
justdarling
Neophyte
Member # 107982

Icon 9 posted      Profile for justdarling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello! I found this website recently and have been reading articles like crazy but still could use some help. I am almost 20 years old and usually very regular but as of today I am a week late with no real signs of my period.

Of course pregnancy was the first thing that came to mind. My boyfriend and I did not have intercourse since my last period (June 11) but we do practice manual sex. We are both very careful to wipe our hands off in an effort to avoid any fluid transfer. I have found a lot of articles on here that have said this poses NO pregnancy risk, and some that have said a very LOW pregnancy risk, I would just like to confirm conclusively that I can rule this out, so to be clear, there is no way I could be pregnant in this case right?

Additionally, I am a collegiate endurance runner and slightly underweight. However, I've been running for 7 years and have always been underweight, neither of which have ever had an affect of this magnitude on my cycle. I have missed a period due to stress/ lifestyle change once, the first month I went away to college I was two weeks late. Other than that I have always been regular. The day before my last period (June 10) I took the Law School Admissions Test and immediately began stressing about my score. I spent 3 weeks at a high anxiety level until I received my score (July 1) and found it to be much lower than I expected. After 8 months of prep this was pretty devastating. I was not terribly concerned when I was a little bit late, attributing it to the stress surrounding the situation, but a full week seems to be excessive and I'm beginning to get very concerned. Any insight would be appreciated!

[ 07-16-2013, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: justdarling ]

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
justdarling
Neophyte
Member # 107982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justdarling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Endurance runner* not insurance, sorry autocorrect!
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi justdarling, welcome to scarleteen! There are many reasons a period may be missed or late, and the majority of those reasons are not anything big that need to be worried about. Have you seen our article about late periods to see if any of the situations it mentions fits? Here it is, in case you missed it:
M.I.A or, Dude, Where's My Period?

Sometimes, we'll just have a late period for no apparent reason, and it's totally normal and not a big deal. Also, periods are typically only actually considered late when they're over a week late -- that's because of the natural variation in lengths of cycles, which occur even for those who have very regular cycles.

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manual sex does not pose a risk of pregnancy unless someone literally has a handful of fresh ejaculate. So, you can rule that out (although if you want to take a pregnancy test to be extra-sure, there's no harm in doing so and it might give you some peace of mind).

It sounds like you've been pretty stressed, and that can definitely have an effect on your cycle. A week isn't really excessive given the amount of stress you've been under, so there's no reason to be concerned - especially if you remember that even regular cycles vary in length by a few days, so your period may not even be a full week late yet.

(Onionpie beat me to it!)

[ 07-16-2013, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: Karybu ]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
justdarling
Neophyte
Member # 107982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justdarling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys! Some third party reassurance always helps [Smile] I appreciate the quick responses!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.