Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Curious (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Curious
jparanoid
Activist
Member # 107607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jparanoid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good day again. I was just curious as to when symptoms of STDs would start? My girlfriend and I have not had any direct genital to genital contact yet nor any penetration whatsoever, but last night i was stimulating her clitoris. Then today she suddenly had a rash on her vaginal opening. I did wash my hands however before i touched her down there. However prior to touching her I also placed tissue paper in between my brief and my shorts so as to not leave a stain, but then while we were still making out at the start, I had to stand up to get something. At that moment the tissue fell to the floor, so I picked it up and placed it on the table. Taking into consideration that the tissue could have had absorbed even the slightest bit of precum, would the process of me touching it and placing it on the table prior to touching her clitoris cause her to have an infection? However when I did touch the tissue it was dry. Thank you
Posts: 72 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the time, for most people, with most STIs there are NOT any noticeable symptoms. That's one reason why testing is so important.

A rash or reaction like that likely isn't about an infection, though. When STIs do involve symptoms, they aren't instant that way.

It sounds much more likely that if her vulva looked redder, that was just from arousal -- which happens -- or an allergic reaction to something on your hands, like a soap or lotion you may use.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jparanoid
Activist
Member # 107607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jparanoid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh okay okay. So in terms of symptoms for STIs it doesn't happen immediately the day after right? Because based on my knowledge that you were able to give me in one of my former posts I know that pregnancy is not an issue because i did not even touch the precum on my penis. Instead what I touched could only possibly be precum that has been filtered by my brief and was absorbed slightly by the tissue due to my touching of the tissue. I'm just concerned if from touching the tissue could I have passed her a sexually transmitted infection? Or it just doesn't happen that way?
Posts: 72 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jparanoid
Activist
Member # 107607

Furthermore, I also do not know how a person can have an STI? Because as for me, I have never had sex with anyone and have only been intimate with this girlfriend of mine, since she is my first girlfriend. In addition to this, she also hasn't been intimate with anyone except for me.
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In order to transmit a sexually transmitted infection, someone has to have one in the first place. They don't come out of nowhere, and they don't start on tissues.

So, unless you, yourself, have a sexually transmitted infection, and then your partner has contact with your skin or fluids, she can't get an STI from you. make sense?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jparanoid
Activist
Member # 107607

Yes but how can one get a STI?
Also she said that she has noticed that she's been needing to pee a lot today

jparanoid
Activist
Member # 107607

Regarding about tissues, how about the precum that the tissues absorbed? could ithave transferred to my hands and caused her to have something or a pregnancy? Or that's just not possible?

Sorry for being so repetitive, I just feel really stressed

jparanoid
Activist
Member # 107607

COnsidering that I have not had intercourse or any kind of sexual activity with any other girl and that she was the only girl I have ever kissed, does that clear me for any STIs?
jparanoid
Activist
Member # 107607

COnsidering that I have not had intercourse or any kind of sexual activity with any other girl and that she was the only girl I have ever kissed, does that clear me for any STIs?
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing about some STIs is that while they are primarily transmitted sexually, some can be transmitted through more casual contact. If you look at this article: STI Risk Assessment: The Cliff's Notes and click through on the STIs that can be potentially transmitted through manual sex, you'll see that some of those can be spread through nonsexual casual contact. We can't tell if you do or don't have any; you'd have to get tested to know that.

Now, based on what you've said, I don't see any reason to think that's what's going on here. If your girlfriend's having urinary issues or a rash, she can certainly talk to a doctor about that, but it doesn't sound connected to any transmission of something from you to her.

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jparanoid
Activist
Member # 107607

However, regarding symptoms of these STIs they don't show immediately the day after contact right? It usually takes time to show due to the incubation period if I am not mistaken?
Patricia H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patricia H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is correct. In fact, a quick Google search will give you a general sense of incubation periods for common STIs. Here's one I pulled up for you:

STD Window guide

--------------------
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum. - Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale

Posts: 234 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jparanoid
Activist
Member # 107607

Okay thank you:) And with regard to pregnancy risks, my situation has no pregnancy risks right? Because my precum didn't come in direct contact with her vulva but instead got filtered by my brief, got absorbed by the tissue, was exposed to the air, and only then did i touch the tissue when it fell to the floor prior to stimulating her clitoris?
jparanoid
Activist
Member # 107607

Furthermore, my last question would also be whether passing on an STD is possible through my touching of a toilet paper with the slightest bit of dried precum, then stimulating my girlfriend's clitoris
jparanoid
Activist
Member # 107607

Hi:) sorry to be persistent but was just wondering if there's any response to my last two questions? [Smile]
Heather
Member # 3

Just FYI, as you might have noticed at the bottom of the board, it's mostly just me this week, all by myself, especially during the day. So, as I noted there, things might take a little longer. I'd appreciate your patience: thanks!

No, this does not pose pregnancy risks, as made clear in many, many pieces on the site about what does and doesn't pose those risks.

As well, like I already explained, what you're talking about here with the toilet paper is not how we'd generally see STIs transmitted. Can we say it's impossible? No. But then neither is a dinner party where alien life is in attendance or me winning the lottery. At the same time, I'm not going to be holding my breath waiting for those things to happen. [Razz]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

jparanoid
Activist
Member # 107607

Okay thanks heather:) sorry for being impatient was just worried a bit:) that did ease up my worries though:) thank you:)
jparanoid
Activist
Member # 107607

Hey heather:) guess what the rash of my girlfriend went away already and we also talked about our sexual actvities and decided to maximize our time with each other and lessening the amount of physical action:)

However I would just want to clear my mind as to whether i did something irresponsible in terms of pregnancy or i was still being responsible because i did not put us in any situation that has a pregnancy risk? Just asking this because of this guilt i feel inside again of potentially affecting our libes grealty in a negative way:( Hoping for your soon response:)

Heather
Member # 3

Hey there. [Smile]

Like I already said above, what you posted about here isn't something that poses pregnancy risks.

I don't know what you mean by responsible or irresponsible in this context, beyond taking risks of pregnancy or not, so if I'm missing something, feel free to fill me in. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

jparanoid
Activist
Member # 107607

Oh i just meant that responsible/irresponsible in terms of practicing an actvity that could have cause my girlfriend to be pregnant. However based on your sound advice as well as the comments of some of my closest friend, i know that precum that has been absorbed by my brief, absorbed by the tissue, exposed to the air, touched by my hand, and only then did my hand touch the vagina is just not how pregnancy happens. The sperm in my precum, if there was any would already been kept at bay by my brief as an initial barrier. HAHAHA. Sorry if i sounded a bit irrational again
jparanoid
Activist
Member # 107607

Oh and just a correction it was the clitoris that i stimulated. I still didn't put my hand inside the vagina:). Thank you again heather:)
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're correct that nothing you did poses a pregnancy risk.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jparanoid
Activist
Member # 107607

Oh okay thank you:). So i should stop worrying about this because pregnancy from this just isn't possible at all:)
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, you've got no reason to be concerned about pregnancy here.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jparanoid
Activist
Member # 107607

Okay thank you very much:) so in my situation there is a 0% chance of her being pregnant from what happened right? [Smile] cause the sperm in precum, if there was any would already been stopped by my brief let alone absorbed by the tissue which i just touched to pick up because the tissue fell of the floor? [Smile]
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

That's correct.

--------------------

jparanoid
Activist
Member # 107607

Okay thank you for your sound and informative answer:). Has scarletteen though ever come across a situation where someone has gotten pregnant from manual sex?
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Not that I'm aware of, no.

--------------------

jparanoid
Activist
Member # 107607

Okay thank you so much for answering all my questions. I just really tend to be irrational sometimes and have this fear that I ruined my girlfriend's life cause of holding tissue paper...
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

You really, truly haven't.

--------------------

jparanoid
Activist
Member # 107607

Thank you very much for giving me reassurance that i can rely on for accuracy:) it really means a lot:)
jparanoid
Activist
Member # 107607

Hi again. i'm just really paranoid and still can't get over it because i feel like i've really ruined the life of my girlfriend, my family, and her family:(. But it's impossible for her to get pregnant from what happened right? Like i didn't do anything irresponsible to put her in a situation that could have gotten her pregnant right? [Frown]
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey jparanoid,

I think from what we've already said in this thread you should be able to answer those questions on your own.

You speak about about everyone's lives being 'ruined' and there is a severity to what you're worried about that just doesn't match the realities. My guess is that comes from how severely anxious you're feeling. I'm so sorry you're feeling that way.

I would say you're the exact opposite of irresponsible (i.e. someone who doesn't take enough responsibility for their actions), from what we've said here it seems you're taking way more responsibility than is at all reasonable for stuff that poses no risk at all. That is a lot of weight to carry... and you identify that as paranoia. And that comes from somewhere, it can be a survival mechanism to some difficult experiences or it can just be a way of thinking that propels itself through your worries or something else. But it is real.

If you identify the paranoia as the problem (not pregnancy risks and not irresponsibility)... that doesn't make it go away instantly, but it is a really good start.

Have you thought about approaching those feelings instead of the pregnancy stuff?

Posts: 694 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jparanoid
Activist
Member # 107607

I did. In fact, some of my friends said that i'm worrying about the wrong thing because pregnancy in this scenario is really impossible. The fact that i still worry about it like it's the end of the world is something that is quite unusual. Iam
actually considering seeing a psychologist to discuss this because it is really affecting me like crazy. However, in terms of reality wise, it really is impossible right? like a normal individual would not even think of pregnancy during these situations?

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think seeking out some help in dealing with your anxiety is an excellent idea!

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.