Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Confused about period

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Confused about period
amandachristine067
Neophyte
Member # 97438

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amandachristine067     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,
i have been on birth control for 4 years now and last month i recently switched from yaz to loestrin 24.
Last month I had taken the first pill of yaz then got the new brand and took the second pill of the new brand and continued on. After the first inactive pill i had brown discharge for 4 days. then started up the active pills again.
There is about a week until the inactive pills start up again but I am now having the brown discharge just like i did during the last inactive pills but it is not time for my period yet.
I'm really confused and worried. My boyfriend and I always use condoms but about 6 weeks ago we had sex without a condom and he pulled out. Do you think there is really a risk of pregnancy here? Please help [Confused]

Posts: 20 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amandachristine067
Neophyte
Member # 97438

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amandachristine067     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
also I am not worried about STD's because he is my first partner and he has been tested.
Posts: 20 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even though you've been on the pill for years, when you switch brands, you should figure that it can be just like starting over again.

In other words, you may have side effects or some weird stuff going on for a few cycles, which is most likely what this is.

That said, I hear you saying your boyfriend has had STI tests, but have you? If not, since you now are sexually active, you'll want to start your own testing, too. If you haven't, now might be a good time to do that just to rule out the possibility of this discharge being about infection.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amandachristine067
Neophyte
Member # 97438

Thank you for the advice! So we can safely say that pregnancy is not an issue here?
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the pill isn't 100% effective, like every method. So, anytime you engage in the kinds of sex, namely intercourse, that presents a risk of pregnancy, there will be some risk of pregnancy.

That given, in the event that you don't see what you know as a withdrawal bleed when it's time for it, testing for pregnancy is always a good idea.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amandachristine067
Neophyte
Member # 97438

wait, so this could be an indication that im pregnant..
Heather
Member # 3

I didn't say that.

I said that you can't ever say there's no risk of pregnancy when people are doing the things that can cause a pregnancy.

But that has nothing to do with this discharge you're having.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

amandachristine067
Neophyte
Member # 97438

okay thanks. So since i had this brown discharge during my last inactive pills and i had unprotected sex before that that is an indication that im not pregnant because it was my period but different because of the new hormones?
And im having this discharge now because my body is probably still getting used to the new hormones?

Heather
Member # 3

Not knowing what this brown discharge was, if it was a withdrawal bleed or not -- which I've no way of knowing -- I can't say either way.

Again, if you don't currently have any infections, something you'd know from your own testing, then I'd say what this most likely is is some kind of spotting, probably due to the change of pill.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

amandachristine067
Neophyte
Member # 97438

Okay well im super nervous now. If i took a test today would it be accurate?
Heather
Member # 3

Six weeks after your last possible risk? Absolutely.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

amandachristine067
Neophyte
Member # 97438

I just took a test and it was negative so its safe to say that this is a result of a change in hormones?
Heather
Member # 3

Like I've been saying, this kind of discharge is most likely either due to changing your pill, or may indicate an infection of some kind.

So, once more, if you, yourself, are not currently up to date with your own STI testing (your partner's test results don't tell us anything about your status, only his) , I'd suggest that in general, but also think it'd be a good idea to do sooner rather than later because of this discharge.

If it turns out you're all clear of any infections, then you can safely say this is likely just a side effect of your pill.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

amandachristine067
Neophyte
Member # 97438

Could you tell me why it's important to get tested when my boyfriend is the first person I've had sexual contact with and he was tested before any contact?
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
STI testing is sound practice when someone has become sexually active; it's part of basic sexual health care one would start after becoming sexually active with a partner for the first time. You want a baseline, which will also help you evaluate (or eliminate) possible causes for symptoms, such as what you're asking about now.

Here's some more information on all this, including sound practices when in a relationship.

Without sexual contact, could I have an STI?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.