Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Condom broke & Plan B?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Condom broke & Plan B?
kxtherine
Neophyte
Member # 107815

Icon 5 posted      Profile for kxtherine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. I'm new to this, so I'm extremely sorry if this turns out to be a longer than needed post. I spent quite a lot of time yesterday reading other threads while I was waiting for my registration to get approved, but I still feel like I need my own personal reassurance, so here's my story.

On the 24th, the condom broke after my partner ejaculated. I did whatever I thought could help (even if I know it really doesn't) like standing up, peeing, washing, etc. while he went to go get plan B one step. I took it well within an hour, and did not experience any symptoms (may I add that I took Plan B back in March, also. No symptoms as well, and period came two weeks later, but I didn't track my period back then so I'm not sure if it came early or on time). Until yesterday, the 26th. My boyfriend was fingering me for quite awhile & it did not hurt, but after 20 minutes or so, I went to use the bathroom & saw one drop of blood in my pee & some on the toilet paper. Then at the end of the day, before I went to bed, I saw at least 3 drops of blood on my underwear. I wore a panty liner just in case the same would happen overnight, but it was completely clean in the morning.

My question is - it is more likely for this to be some kind of spotting due to the pill, or to my boyfriend fingering me? This is the first time this has happened, and my next period isn't due for another week, and since it didn't bleed through the night, I'm guessing its not the start of my period. & it can't be implantation bleeding, right? Wouldn't it be too soon for that to happen if I did ovulate the same day the condom broke, and plan B didn't work?

Also, since I took the pill later in my cycle (about day 20) would my period, if it were to come, come earlier than expected, or later?

Posts: 12 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the boards, kxtherine. [Smile]

I don't think we can know if the spotting was due to the fingering or a side effect of the Plan B.

By all means, if your boyfriend was inserting fingers in your vagina when you weren't very aroused, without using lubricant, or even without using latex gloves (vaginal tissue can be delicate, so sometimes even a little hangnail on someone's finger can cause an abrasion), then this could be due to the fingering.

But spotting is also a common side effect of Plan B, even if it isn't one you experienced when you used it before. Side effects from a medication won't always be the same for us every time we use it.

We also can't predict what, if any, impact Plan B may have on your menstrual cycle: that's just not a thing we can predict or know.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kxtherine
Neophyte
Member # 107815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kxtherine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the quick reply! [Smile]

It wouldn't be a big problem if the bleeding was caused by either reasons, right? I'm just a bit worried since this is the first time I've spotted.

Well, I have a home pregnancy test ready just in case. When would I get the most accurate results? Two weeks from the incident, or three?

Posts: 12 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What you always want to do is follow the instructions on any test you buy per when to take it. They will tell you when it will be effective for you.

If the spotting was caused by the fingering, then you know you want to take note of that and figure out what to do next time, be that telling your partner to be more gentle or chill out until you're more aroused, adding more lubricant, having him file his nails first and clip hangnails, wear gloves, etc. Because really, we want to avoid injuries with sex, particularly since abrasions can create easy routes for infection. Plus, they usually don't feel very nice. [Razz]

If you're having spotting from the Plan B, that's nothing to worry about: like most medications, it's one that can have side effects, and spotting is one of them. But spotting as a side effect doesn't mean anything is the matter.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kxtherine
Neophyte
Member # 107815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kxtherine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh alright. Thank you very much [Smile]

Just one last question - I've been getting mixed efficiency rates on Plan B. Some credible websites say that its up to 75% effective, while others say 89%, and another said when taken within 12 hours, it boosts it up to 95%. Do you know which of these are more likely to be the actual percentage?

Heather
Member # 3

I'd be very surprised to see any credible sexual/reproductive health sites saying Plan B is only UP TO 75% effective. 75% effectiveness is generally what is cited as the low end of effectiveness for Plan B, and 98% the highest.

And those are the figures I'd stand by and find most in the resources we use, online and in print, for effectiveness rates.

I'd simply add to that that we know that that highest effectiveness rate is when Plan B is used within 24 hours after a risk, and it gradually decreases from there (when taken later than that).

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

kxtherine
Neophyte
Member # 107815

Alright. Thank you again! [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.