Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Whats my body doing? Should I be thankful or still worried?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Whats my body doing? Should I be thankful or still worried?
Bri brown
Neophyte
Member # 107771

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Bri brown     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had unprotected sex exactly 18 days ago. Took plan b one step three days after that. Recieved what seemed to be, my period about a week later. Which is about 3 weeks early..And Regular blood flow although at first real heavy and lasted 5 days which is just like my normal period usually lasts. My question is, after that bleeding am I still likely to be pregnat? I am aware that bleeding after plan b is a known side affect, but does it indicate wether the pill worked or not?
Posts: 22 | From: Georgia | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI Bri,

No, bleeding after Plan B is not an indication of whether or not the pill worked. As with most other medications, Plan B's side effects aren't at all related to whether or not it's effective.

The only way to know for sure if you're pregnant or not is to take a pregnancy test.

Can I also check in with you about whether you get regular STI (sexually transmited infection) testing? Engaging in sexual activities without barriers such as condoms poses high risks of STI transmission.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bri brown
Neophyte
Member # 107771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bri brown     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much for answering.

No, I do not get tested for STD's etc. This was my first time ever having sex, it was with two boys. But they both didn't have any STD's. I'm not worried about it??? Also, yes I've read it's a normal side affect but isn't it true that if you do bleed at all, it's very unlikely ur pregnat because the baby would attack itself to ur womb and my body wouldn't be able to bleed.

--------------------
help

Posts: 22 | From: Georgia | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
how do you know that the people you engaged in sexual activities with don't have any STIs? really, there's no way to know that, as most STIs don't show visible symptoms.

Yes, it's true that the uterine lining is important in pregnancy. What I'm saying here though is that if one is asking the question "am I pregnant?" the only absolutely definitive way to answer that question is with a pregnancy test, not through looking at the presence or absence of symptoms.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bri brown
Neophyte
Member # 107771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bri brown     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True. Do you think I'm likely?

And ok, this is how I find comfort in thinking they didn't have any STD's. So like I said, I did them both. Not a three dim but one right after the other. So if one had STD's why would his friend just in me right after so he could catch his friends STD's? I don't know wether that sounds really stupid but in my mind that's how I figure. how do you even get tested for STD's?

--------------------
help

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Well, if his friend didn't know that he had STIs, he wouldn't be any the wiser so it wouldn't make a difference to him.

One can get tested by going to one's regular healthcare provider and asking for tests, or through going to a sexual health clinic.

Since you have started engaging in partnered sexual activities, it's important for your health to get your sexual healthcare started, which includes getting STI testing. Do you have a doctor or other healthcare provider you go to?

If not, or if you're not comfortable discussing sexual health with them, would you like some help finding a sexual health clinic in your area?

--------------------
Robin

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Here is some more information about testing: Testing, Testing...

--------------------
Robin

Bri brown
Neophyte
Member # 107771

Thank you. And yes that is true I didn't think of that. I am actually quite nervous to talk to my doctor about this. Yes, I have a regular doctor. Is it true that if you ask them they have to keep it confidential? But I'm not very worried about STD, STI is that a bad thing?

--------------------
help

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

it's not a bad thing not to be too worried, but STI testing really does need to be part of your sexual health care if you're going to be engaging in sexual activities with other people, especially if you do so without using condoms. To be clear, condoms don't eliminate STI risks, but they do reduce them significantly.

Yes, your you should expect your doctor to keep your discussions about sex confidential. You can double-check by asking them about that.

--------------------
Robin

Bri brown
Neophyte
Member # 107771

Ok. Well thank you for helping me. Hopefully I am not pregnat because if I am I do not know what I'll be doing anymore. I will look into that next time I see my doctor. You have been a great help.

--------------------
help

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.