Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » EC and stomach bug

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: EC and stomach bug
she_who_questions
Activist
Member # 39778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for she_who_questions     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This past Friday I had protected sex with someone while we were both pretty drunk. Everything went okay, I think, but he took the condom off pretty close to my body and I felt a drop of liquid land down there. There's no way to tell whether it was lube, sperm, or what. On Friday I was nearing the end of my cycle so I don't think there was much chance of pregnancy. However, because of the circumstances surrounding the incident and my own natural paranoia, I took EC less than 48 hours afterward. At that point, I was also getting sick with a stomach bug (it'd been spreading around my place of work). I've been having diarrhea since Sunday (the same day that I took EC). No vomiting though. How much do you think that would compromise the effectiveness of EC? The worst of the diarrhea and stomach business didn't start until about 10-12 hours after I took the pill.
I've used EC before and I remember bleeding like 3-4 days after taking it. I'm hoping all will be well..

Posts: 120 | From: Florida | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi she_who_questions,

The best person to ask about medication effectiveness is a pharmacist or healthcare provider. However, I can tell you that the emergency contraception would have gotten into your system in much less than 10-12 hours.

Also, unless you chart your cycles (keeping track of cervical mucus and basal body temperature) daily, and have been doing so for several months), it really isn't possible to say anything about how fertile (or not) you are at any given time.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
she_who_questions
Activist
Member # 39778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for she_who_questions     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gave the pharmacist a call and he said there was no definitive way to know how much the effectiveness of EC is affected by diarrhea since people are so physically different. He said that all tablets can potentially lose some effectiveness that way.
I didn't go into great detail about my situation when I spoke to the pharmacist on the phone (i.e. the fact that a condom was used). I just asked a basic question about diarrhea affecting EC. And I mentioned that it was 8+ hours after taking the pill that my diarrhea got bad.
So he suggested that I speak with a doctor about the possibility of getting a 120 hour EC prescription, whether I needed it, etc.
When I said I was late in my cycle, I just meant that it had been about 2.5 to 3 weeks since my period ended when I had sex. I don't record my periods normally since I haven't been with anybody in a long time.
Do you think I should pursue this any further? As in going to see a doc? I feel like protection, EC, and the time frame of the event don't make for much of a pregnancy risk... Just hoping to get a one-on-one opinion. Thanks.

Posts: 120 | From: Florida | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the risk you're describing isn't direct genital contact and only maybe contact between one drop of fresh semen and your genitals (assuming you mean your genital area by "down there" and not, say, your thigh). Anything else just isn't a way that pregnancy happens.

It's really up to you if you want to pursue this further, but it doesn't sound like there's much of a risk to protect against.

Posts: 1319 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
she_who_questions
Activist
Member # 39778

Thanks for your time with this [Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.