Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Discharge

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Discharge
Questions1
Neophyte
Member # 107318

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Questions1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My period should be here already or arriving soon. I get one every month but the time between cycles isnt always the same. Ive never had sex before. I have clear discharge and sometimes white. is this normal when my period should be starting?
Posts: 30 | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haleigh H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haleigh H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Questions1,

Discharge is totally normal. And the discharge you are describing doesn't sound like anything to worry about. Take a look at this page, Honorably Discharged: A Guide to Vaginal Secretions and see what you think.

There are also lots of reason why your period could be irregular, late, early, etc. This page is great for figuring that out, MIA, or Dude, Where's My Period. If your period is irregular for more than three months I think it's a good idea to check in with a doctor just to be sure something else isn't going on.

--------------------
Haleigh

Posts: 176 | From: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questions1
Neophyte
Member # 107318

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Questions1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your help. But is it normal to still have clear or white discharge even a couple days before your period?
Posts: 30 | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haleigh H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haleigh H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're very welcome. Yep, clear white discharge is normal. Glad I could help [Smile]

--------------------
Haleigh

Posts: 176 | From: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questions1
Neophyte
Member # 107318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questions1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks.I was worried because I read that white discharge is also common during early pregnancy. Is there anyway you can tell if the discharge is normal or caused by pregnancy?
Haleigh H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103145

Nope, there is no way for me to be able to tell that. But let's try to assess whether you have had a risk of pregnancy. Take a look at this page, Can I Get Pregnant, or Get or Pass an STI From That? .

What do you think? Is there any reason why you should be concerned about being pregnant?

--------------------
Haleigh

Questions1
Neophyte
Member # 107318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questions1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The most ive pretty much done is fingering. So is there anyway this could be a pregnancy risk?
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What did you read in the article haleigh linked you to about pregnancy risks and fingering?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questions1
Neophyte
Member # 107318

Its says theres no risk but i just wanted to make sure that there isnt a way that it could be a risk
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, our articles are kept up to date and accurate- what you read in the article per risks with fingering is accurate.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questions1
Neophyte
Member # 107318

Okay thank you. So it is normal to still have discharge even if its been 35 days since my last period? My period varies every month but Ive never missed a month
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As you read in the article about discharges, it's usual to have discharge of one type or another at any point in one's cycle.

While the amount, texture, and colour may vary, most people with vaginas are going to have some type of discharge most of the time; it just may be less noticeable at some times.

Do you keep track of when you get your periods? I ask because if you do get them after different amounts of time, it may be that your period really isn't late at all.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questions1
Neophyte
Member # 107318

Yes i do keep track of them. Most of the time i get them between the 25-30 day of my cycle. I have only gotten it on the 31-40 day a couple times which is why im worried about this now
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay so really its sounding like you may want to try to get in to talk about these irregular periods with your doctor. But being you have in the past had longer waits between cycles a couple of times best thing to do until you can get in with your doc about them is try to relax.

[ 06-23-2013, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: Stephanie_1 ]

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questions1
Neophyte
Member # 107318

Also I read that stress and excercise can delay your period. Ive been exercising more lately but I dont think its intense or anything. Could this maybe by why its late?
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's possible. There are many reasons periods can be late: they're listed in that MIA article Haleigh linked you to in her first post.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questions1
Neophyte
Member # 107318

Thanks for your help. I guess ill just wait a bit longer and hope it shows up
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome. If you're still feeling worried about your period not showing up, how about doing a bit extra to take care of yourself and help with that stress? Whatever helps you feel better when you're worried about something: a movie, reading a favourite book, going for a long walk, whatever.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.