Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Abnormal period after ECP

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Abnormal period after ECP
snufflytoe
Neophyte
Member # 46041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snufflytoe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello. This is going to be a long story, but please help, I'm scared and don't know if I even should be. Sorry about the length of this and the details I get into, I just want to get the most accurate response possible.
I had a normal period (moderately heavy, 5 days) on the 11th of May. My cycles are usually 27-30 days long, I can usually tell when I ovulate as I have some abdominal pain for around 2 days around this time, and from the time I ovulate I usually get sore breasts that stop being sore when my period starts. In the days leading up to my period I get mild abdominal discomfort that comes and goes in waves, and usually have mild to painful cramping as soon as my period starts and over the course of day 1. Day 2 is always the heaviest with a fair bit of clotting, and then the bleeding decreases over the next 3 days. In May I'm quite sure I ovulated around the 24th, and on the 30th I had two instances of unprotected sex 6 hours apart. He peed and washed up during this interval. On both occasions, my boyfriend pulled out before ejaculating, and did not ejaculate on or very near my vulva. I am not on the birth control pill, and seeing as withdrawal was our only form of birth control I took an emergency contraceptive pill called Levonelle One-Step (I was in the UK) 16-20 hours after the first instance of unprotected sex. On the 9th of June I began to bleed. It seemed completely normal, just like my usual period and had all the usual signs: the breast tenderness went away, I had moderately painful cramping for the first day, and on the second day the bloodflow increased and contained clots. However, my period was lighter than it usually is and lasted only three days, with very light bleeding on the 4th and 5th days. On day 1 I changed my pad once, and on day 2 I changed it 2-3 times, I don't remember about day 3. On the 13th I got some unrelated news that stressed me out quite a lot, and on the 14th I noticed some lower abdominal discomfort, which made me feel anxious about being pregnant, as I never have discomfort that soon after a period, and I didn't have any discomfort over the previous 2 days. I was extremely worried and started feeling queasy, but not nauseous.Over the next two days I had some digestion problems and was a bit gassy, and I noticed that the abdominal discomfort reduced when my stomach was soothed. By actively trying I managed to calm myself down, and over the last few days I've had very minimal discomfort that goes away completely when once I burp a bit.
I've read so much stuff online and now I'm so confused. I don't know whether my bleeding was a normal period (some information says ECPs can make your period earlier/later, lighter/heavier, shorter/longer, but some makes no mention of anything other than earlier/later), I don't know whether this was implantation bleeding (it doesn't seem to match the description for typical implantation bleeding, but what about the people who seem to have normal periods but are still pregnant?) and I don't know whether it was a symptom of ectopic pregnancy. I know I could solve my problems by just taking a pregnancy test, and I will definitely do that, but it's a little bit harder for me to get my hands on a test now that I am back in India.
Basically, I'd like to know whether ECPs can make your period lighter and shorter, and whether I should honestly be worried about being pregnant until I can get a test.
Thank you so much! I'm sorry once again about the horrific and probably unnecessary detail [Frown]

Posts: 6 | From: India | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snufflytoe
Neophyte
Member # 46041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snufflytoe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also I just feel really guilty about not having used two methods of contraceptives like condoms and pulling out even though I'm fully aware of the consequences and it's making me feel like I might have an unwanted pregnancy almost as a punishment for being so irresponsible. I know that doesn't actually mean I'll be pregnant, and it's all down to the biology of it, but I'm scared that thinking like this is going to make me start seeing symptoms even when there might be none. I just don't know whether or not I actually have cause to be worried. Please help [Frown]
Posts: 6 | From: India | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there, snufflytoe.

By all means, one common side effect with ECPs are changes with menstrual cycles, menstruation or some bleeding. So, it can cause cycles to shift some, including periods being missed, late or early. It can also change how your flow looks or period feels for a cycle or two.

But, after using ECP, it's usually advised to take a pregnancy test anyway, since it's not 100% effective. So, if you're still concerned, and it sounds like you are, that would be a good next step.

Ectopic pregnancy is quite rare, and typically they don't feel any different than uterine pregnancies early on. So, I cause for concern about that.

I'd encourage you to let go of the idea that pregnancies are rewards or punishments from on high: all we know about pregnancy makes very clear they're neither.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68211 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snufflytoe
Neophyte
Member # 46041

Thanks so much for the response Heather!
I'm a little confused about what you said about ectopic pregnancies though. Should I be concerned? Or did you mean that I should be no more concerned about that than a regular pregnancy at this stage as they are similarl early on?
I will definitely be taking a test, but was just looking for some relief until I can.
I know it's silly to think about pregnancy in that way, and very short-sighted and selfish too perhaps. I just feel very guilt about being so careless. I definitely won't be having such irresponsible sex again until I want to have a baby.
Once again, thank you for replying so promptly. You have a lot to be proud of in running this website, it is extremely empowering!

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I meant you should be not at all concerned: they are rare, and it's not like anything usually feels different about them early to people experiencing one than it feels when someone is typically pregnant, in the uterus, not the fallopian tubes.

Thanks so much for the lovely compliments. [Smile]

Think you can let this go now? For sure, I get you feel lousy about it, but what you can do with that positively is just make choices you feel better about moving forward. making yourself feel bad or worse? It's of no benefit to anyone, especially you!

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68211 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snufflytoe
Neophyte
Member # 46041

Thanks again Heather, working on keeping myself calm now until I can get a test.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.