Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Nexplanon check up

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nexplanon check up
clairbaire123
Activist
Member # 103175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairbaire123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So at a check up, I mentioned to one of the nurses that the nexplanon seems like it shifted a little, one end is "higher". So she took a pen and kinda outlined the nexplanon, drawing on my skin, and manipulated it a bit by touching it and pressing on it,shifting the skin around to make sure it was intact.

Was all of that ok to do with the nexplanon? It seemed kinda out there to me.

Posts: 119 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi clairbaire123

Did you express your concerns to the nurse? I'm wondering what makes you worry that a trained healthcare provider would do something in the course of responding to your question that would compromise the medication you're asking about. Can you fill me in on what makes you worried about this?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairbaire123
Activist
Member # 103175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairbaire123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because I'm really slender the nexplanon is really palpable and obvious in my arm. So idk I guess I was worried that shifting it around and stuff and drawing on it it, it could break. But now that I'm saying it like that it seems kind of silly. I guess I just wanted a second opinion on if stuff like that could compromise it. Because I know different nurses have different methods and I wanted to ask
Posts: 119 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairbaire123
Activist
Member # 103175

Oh and this wasn't a nurse trained with the nexplanon or the obgyn! She was with my general health care provider and even said she wasn't too too familiar with the nexplanon.
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even if that nurse wasn't familiar with your particular medication, she's still not going to do something that will compromise it. Don't forget, the implant has to withstand being in your body; it's not going to be super-fragile.

Next time you have a concern about something a healthcare provider is doing, though, please ask them about it, okay? You can ask nicely--in this case, just a "Do we have to be careful about palpating the implant, or is it okay?" would do.

Remember too that you didn't get any specific instructions on how to protect or care for the implant, and nothing this nurse was doing was anything more vigorous than what you'd do in daily activity.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairbaire123
Activist
Member # 103175

She just didnt have a very professional manner and I guess that's what made me question her methods. I politely asked "is it ok to do that to the nexplanon?" And she said "I guess so its under your skin"

Do you mean since its in my arm and already subject to various activities like bending and moving around and stuff, nothing the nurse did is out of the ordinary thus compromising it?

Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really don't think this is something to worry about; like Robin said, the implant has to be able to withstand some contact in order to be effective, and since you didn't get a list of things not to do when it was inserted, it's probably fine.

You could call the office where they did the insertion if you want, though; maybe it would be helpful for you to specifically ask if there are ways you can damage the implant by touching it. That way you will know, in the future, what sort of contact (if any) to avoid.

Posts: 1316 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairbaire123
Activist
Member # 103175

They said it would take really severe trauma to do anything to break the nexplanon!
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to know!
Posts: 1316 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.