Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » EC and Late Period

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: EC and Late Period
kj3857
Neophyte
Member # 107447

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kj3857     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend and I usually are very careful when it comes to sex and fooling around, however, on the 1st of June, both of us were incredibly drunk and we started messing around after getting back from the bar. We ended up having dry sex, although he didn't have his boxers on, however, I was semi-clothed with shorts and a thong. I took EC the morning of the 3rd after I realized that I was nervous because I didn't remember much from that night and the potential for my thong moving and his cum getting around my vulva made me nervous. I took it on the 3rd and then had almost period like bleeding that weekend (the 7th - 10th). It was heavy enough I actually used at least two regular tampons each day.
My last period started on the 24th of May. I usually track my cervical mucus but at the time I was on benadryll getting my allergies under control and had next to no mucus so I had no idea where I was in my cycle (hence the EC).
About a week after my EC induced period, I thought I ovulated because I had the cervical mucus to match, however, my egg white fertile cervical mucus lasted much longer than normal, which brings me to my slight stressor.
On the night before I left for my new job training, my boyfriend and I were messing around and because I thought I had already ovulated I thought I was okay. We had dry sex (again with me clothed) and then we had manual sex. He ended up coming all over my stomach. I don't think any got even near my vulva area, however, it still makes me nervous. I was going to get on BC when I got my next period because I was tired of having to be so careful, watching my CM and because I'm now on an antihistamine.
All of that to ask, how much would the EC throw my period? I normally am very regular (around 30-31 days) and I think I probably took the EC before I ovulated. Would the delayed ovulation have extended my period? I don't think the two incidents posed a pregnancy risk (although I could be wrong).

[ 06-24-2013, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: kj3857 ]

Posts: 6 | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi kj3857,

One of the side effects some people experience after taking emergency contraception is changes to the menstrual cycle. These changes can last for a few cycles.

Here's some information about emergency contraception:Emergency Contraception (Plan B or the Morning-After-Pill)

It also sounds like you are having some confusion about which sexual activities pose pregnancy risks and which do not. Here's a handy guide to help you sort that all out.
Can I Get Pregnant, or Get or Pass On an STI From That?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kj3857
Neophyte
Member # 107447

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kj3857     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Robin,
Thanks for your response. I just wanted to confirm that, based on what I said in my post, neither incident posed a pregnancy risk (since I was at least clothed)?

Posts: 6 | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's correct. What you described aren't ways a person is at all likely to get pregnant.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kj3857
Neophyte
Member # 107447

I appreciate your response. For my own peace of mind, I did take a pregnancy test and it was negative. I'll probably take another one in a week just for added confirmation, but I'm sure my period is just MIA from the EC I took from what I understood you saying. I appreciate your help.
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to hear you're feeling more relaxed, and that the negative result helped with that.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.