Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Broken condom and birth control

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Broken condom and birth control
sunnydays
Neophyte
Member # 107728

Icon 5 posted      Profile for sunnydays     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all, I have a question regarding the proper course of action in a situation I (regrettably) find myself in. My girlfriend and I were having sex and the condom broke as I was ejaculating. She's been on birth control for almost two years now and is perfect about taking when she's supposed to, etc. But I'm still worried because there was direct exposure and neither of us has any desire for her to get pregnant. Of course, we both know that nothing is perfect, but I was wondering if taking Plan B is worth it/will make a difference given that she is already on the pill. Would it be redundant? Thanks so much in advance!
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI sunnydays
and welcome to Scarleteen,

Yes, taking Plan B would be redundant if your girlfriend has been taking her pill as directed, which you said she has. The daily birth control pill and emergency contraception do the same thing, so nothing would be gained here in using emergency contraception.

If your girlfriend does not get her withdrawal bleed (what we call the period when someone is taking the pill) she'll want to take a pregnancy test, either a home test or at a healthcare provider's office or clinic.

I want to check in with you about whether both of you are up-to-date on your STI tests as a condom breaking also presents increased risks of STI transmission.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunnydays
Neophyte
Member # 107728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunnydays     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, thanks for the response and the information - it's what I thought, just wanted to get a second opinion. As for the STI tests - we've been going out for over 2 years now, so not really a worry. So if she does get her withdrawal bleed, there's no worries that there is a pregnancy? Thanks again!
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome.

And yes, a withdrawal bleed means she's not pregnant.

In terms of STIs, so long as you both have had tests at some point that came back negative, then yes, you can be confident that that's not a concern for you. dating for two years and being monogamous is one part of the picture, yes, but it doesn't mean anything if there hasn't also been testing that came back negative.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.