Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Birth Control Pill Side Effects

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth Control Pill Side Effects
beaver987
Activist
Member # 95850

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaver987         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Scarleteen,
I've been on the pill for over a year now and have tried about 3 other kinds. The last kind i've had for almost 8 months (Microgestin/Glidess: 1/20). Like i've talked to you about beforehand I get light to no bleeds, no cramps, but a HECK of a lot of breast tenderness. It doesn't hurt as much during the off pill week and the beginning of the month, but the 2nd and 3rd week of the month are terrible. I've found that this is the same with every type of pill i've tried before. (Apri, Orthotri-cylin, Junel etc. --those were different than the 1/20 doses, but i've changed pills because of breast tenderness). I can't seem to find a pill that doesn't cause so much pain.

With our insurance, my pills are $25 for 3 months worth of pill packs. Are there different hormonal methods that can reduce this problem? Or have I not been trying something that is causing this? I'd really like to keep the cost really low on birth control, but also fnd something that is extremely effective. I am 17 (18 in August) and live with my parents if that changes anything. My mom also thinks i'm taking the pill because of my period cramps...which they were bad...but I REALLY wanted to go on to reduce my worries with pregnancy.

Thanks for the help!

Posts: 155 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi beaver987,

This would really be something to discuss with your doctor, to work together to figure out if there's another method that would not give you so much breast tenderness. You certainly could try, for example, a progesterone-only method and it might make a difference for you, but this is a discussion best had with your healthcare provider.

The only way to know what different methods cost with your insurance is to call your insurance company or look to see if you can find that information on their Web site.

I'd suggest making an appointment with your healthcare provider to discuss this.

In the meantime, here's information on the various methods available to you:

Birth Control Bingo!

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.