Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » A specific pregnancy risk question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A specific pregnancy risk question
anxiety1995
Neophyte
Member # 107704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anxiety1995     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello! I've read multiple articles on here about what causes risk of pregnancy, but I'd like to have assurance in my specific instance. My boyfriend and I were fooling around, and I gave him oral/manual sex. He ejaculated in my mouth, and I swallowed. After we kissed/touched other surfaces (clothing, hair, etc) for a few minutes, he gave me manual sex. I started to touch myself as well, but I did not penetrate.
My concern is that there could have been pre-ejaculate or ejaculate (on my hands or on his hands or in my mouth that then got on his hands) that could have survived and come in contact with my vagina. I don't recall having any noticeable evidence of this on my hands or on his, and I'm pretty sure it isn't likely for this to be a situation where pregnancy risk is present. My hope is that the contact our hands had with other surfaces before touching me would eliminate risk, but I'd like peace of mind from an expert.

Thank you for your attention, and I'm sorry for any redundancy!

[ 06-13-2013, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: anxiety1995 ]

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey there. [Smile]

Like the articles it sounds like you read pointed out, pregnancy risks are about DIRECT genital-to-genital contact and/or DIRECT contact between your genitals and semen.

Some of the things you're describing here -- like unprotected oral sex, or touching each others genitals without handwashing -- pose risks of sexually transmitted infections (which certainly isn't a nonissue), but these are not scenarios which pose pregnancy risks.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anxiety1995
Neophyte
Member # 107704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anxiety1995     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much for your quick response! I'm aware that these activities pose risk of STI's, but I'm the first girl he's ever done more than kiss with, and I have been tested since I last engaged in these activities with another person. So STI's aren't a concern for us. The way I see it, if I don't know someone well enough to know their sexual history, I shan't be engaging in these behaviors! Thank you again for your advice, This website is awesome.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome.

I'd just say that, ideally, safer sex is the way to go rather than relying on sexual history alone. Sexual history just only gives us so much information -- like, it just can't tell us someone's STI status, as only testing can do that -- and to boot, tough as it is to acknowledge, a lot of people aren't honest about their sexual history, especially when they're younger and it can be so loaded.

These are your choices to make, by all means, and just like with choices around what pregnancy risks, or level of risk, someone is willing to take, the same goes with STIs. But ideas about sexual history taking care of that alone are pretty outdated (they mostly come from a time when we couldn't test for everything, access to testing wasn't as good as it is now, and waits on test results were way longer), so I wanted to make sure you were filled in on that.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anxiety1995
Neophyte
Member # 107704

I just really don't think he would lie to me about these kind of things. He's just not that kind of guy. He's the most good and honest person I know.
Heather
Member # 3

I understand. Just putting all of that out there so you can make your choices with as much information as possible.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.