Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Birth Control-Missed Periods

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth Control-Missed Periods
lindsay16034
Neophyte
Member # 107670

Icon 11 posted      Profile for lindsay16034     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been on birth control for over a year for severe acne. This past month, I switched from Tri-sprintec to tri-previfem. However, I was unable to get the pills on time and ended up starting them three weeks late. This month I have also been very lazy taking them and often missed days at a time and had to double up to make them up. Now it is the 4th day of my sugar pills and I haven't gotten my period. Is this because I started them so late and were late on a few? I did have sex my 6th or 7th day of taking the pill uninterrupted, but my boyfriend and I used a condom because I knew I wasn't safe. Should I be worried? Is there any way I could possibly be pregnant? I have also had a lot of stress lately, from graduating high school to having a hard time finding a job and being nervous about college. Also the added stress of possibly being pregnant has really been troubling me. Could stress also have an effect on my period, even on birth control?
Posts: 2 | From: WNY | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both the fact that you started this pack three weeks late, and the fact that you missed a bunch of pills, are things that we know can really mess with the cycle and lead to things like spotting and late or missed periods.

Do you usually miss a lot of pills? If so, it sounds like the pill may not be such a great match for you. Have you considered talking to your doctor about switching to a method you do not need to remember every day, like Nuva Ring or the Implant?

In the meantime, you'll just want to start taking your pill regularly. Naybe you can set an alarm on your cell phone to help you remember?

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lindsay16034
Neophyte
Member # 107670

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lindsay16034     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do usually miss pills, but i've never missed a period like this. Again, I really am only on this as acne treatment. My acne has gotten better, so I may be stopping the pill all together soon.

But, there isn't a high possibility of being pregnant right? I guess that is really what I'm worried about

Posts: 2 | From: WNY | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When engaging in sexual intercourse, there is always a risk of pregnancy. However, if you used a condom, and it did not break or fall off, you can know that pregnancy isn't likely.

While your acne has improved, it sounds like you would benefit from continuing to use some method of birth control, though that doesn't have to be continuing with the pill. Would you like to discuss your birth control options?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.