Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Is My Girlfriend Pregnant?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is My Girlfriend Pregnant?
giantsfan
Neophyte
Member # 107629

Icon 1 posted      Profile for giantsfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello I'm new to this, just trying to find some answers to help ease my nerves.

well on May 27th my girlfriend and I had unprotected sex. Within an hour later we went to a pharmacy to pick up EC Next Choice one dose. what are the chances of her being pregnant? Her symptoms have been cramping, nausea, lower abdominal pain. She also threw up two days after taking it? does this affect anything? I read the label and it said 2 hours. She hasn't had any type of bleeding and its been 10 days. is this a good or bad sign? Also when can she take a pregnancy test?

any advice will help thank you

Posts: 9 | From: United states | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
giantsfan
Neophyte
Member # 107629

Icon 1 posted      Profile for giantsfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also she said she might have been ovulating around that time of intercourse? Does that affect anything.
Posts: 9 | From: United states | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the boards, giantsfan. [Smile]

No, emergency contraception is around 98% effective when used within the first 24 hours. That means there's around a 2% risk of pregnancy remaining, given when she used it.

Throwing up days after using it won't have any impact on it working: that's LONG since it was absorbed by her body.

Bleeding isn't a way to know Plan B is working: it's just a possible side effect, and one that happens with some people, but not others.

What she'll do from here is wait on her period, when she's expecting it. If she charts to know when she ovulates, she certainly knows when to expect her period. If it's late -- doesn't show up when it's been around five days after she expected it -- then she can take a pregnancy test.

Do you want to talk about how to avoid this moving forward, like where to get condoms and how to use them, or, if you two would prefer an additional method, where she can go to talk with a healthcare provider about her birth control options?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
giantsfan
Neophyte
Member # 107629

So the chances of her NOT being pregnant are good?
Will a pregnancy test be effective if she takes it 14 days after the risk?

We usually use condoms every time, this was the first time having unprotected sex. So I'm kind of freaking out. We talk about using birth control, i just want to make sure it doesnt affect her body in the long run. Meaning long term side effects.

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very much so: it's highly unlikely she'll become pregnant this time.

A pregnancy test can be effective as EARLY as 10-14 days after a risk, but it may be too early. So, unless she wants to take a few, I personally advise waiting to see if her period is late or not.

No current methods of birth control are associated with long-term side effects: that's a myth about birth control methods, not a reality.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
giantsfan
Neophyte
Member # 107629

Will next choice cause her period to be early or late?

Okay i figure it was just a myth.
How is the birth control shot? is that one effective.

Heather
Member # 3

Again, you're asking about possible side effects. Sometimes emergency contraception can cause some bleeding or spotting, sometimes it can change when periods occur. other times, it does none of those things, and there's just really no predicting any of this.

In terms of birth control options for her, this really is something for her to investigate and talk with her healthcare provider about. The shot (Depo-Provera) is highly effective, but whether that's the right option for her or it isn't is going to depend on what she wants in a method and her own health history.

But if one or both of you would like to see all of what thew options are, including how effective each is, you can do that right here: Birth Control Bingo!

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

giantsfan
Neophyte
Member # 107629

Okay thank you for clearing that up for me.

Yes, I've told her whatever birth control she feels more comfortable taking she should. I'm just trying to help and gather info for her.

I also had a question about pre-cum? Does it contain semen?

giantsfan
Neophyte
Member # 107629

I ask this question.Cause two days prior from our risk. which was 25th my girlfriend and I were getting kind of heated. We start touching each other with no clothes on. I inserted my penis in her vagina but not all the way. On the outer part of it. With i felt a sensation so i did the withdrawal method.About 15-30 sec after i pulled out i ejaculated a little. This also worries me for her might being pregnant.
Heather
Member # 3

Why don't you, before posting again, take some time to read some of the material at the main site, giantsfan? (We ask users to do that in the registration agreement for a bunch of reasons, including that it's not very efficient for us to keep answering things here we've already created content to answer, or have answered for others many times before.)

I'm thinking the following pieces should tackle most of your questions here, and the latest you've posted, as well:
• Where DID I Come From? A Refresher Course in Human Reproduction
• Can I Get Pregnant, or Get or Pass On an STI From That?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

giantsfan
Neophyte
Member # 107629

Those articles were very useful. Thank you.

Just one more question. How long should my girlfriend experience cramping. Its been already past 10 days from her taking Next Choice. And she is still having them.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.