Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Could i possibly be pregnant after having 2 periods?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Could i possibly be pregnant after having 2 periods?
antonettewa
Neophyte
Member # 107596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for antonettewa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On April 2, I did not have sex but my boyfriend touched my vulva and 'kind of' inserted his finger down there but I was not really sure if it was in. He might have had semen in his hand, but I'm not sure of that. I was so worried that I could be pregnant. On April 7, I had brown spotting. I thought it was implantation bleeding, but I was told that it was just old blood because I did not have my period in March since my period is irregular. On April 9th I got my period, it was normal. I had it for around 5 days. I was not worried anymore since I got my period. Around May 14th, I noticed my belly got bigger. I usually have a flat stomach. I do not feel heavy at all, my stomach is just looks like there's a small ball inside sometimes. In the morning it's smaller, and as the day goes by it gets a bit bigger. For additional info, it is not hard or anything. I can suck it, and it is very jelly. When I lay down sideways (lets say right), the liquid/or whatever is in it goes to the right too and I have this big glob of fat, whereas the left one is flat. My weight stayed the same (97lbs). I was also naseous for like 5 seconds every hour or something but I never vomitted. I was so scared since I read that these were early signs of pregnancy. I took two home pregnancy tests and both showed negative. I was a bit relieved. I was not naseous anymore (I think the stress of the pregnancy scare caused the nausea). I started to think that the bloating was just a sign of my period coming. On May 22nd, I got my period, and it was normal. Had it for 5 days. But my stomach still looks bigger than normal.

Is it possible that I could have been pregnant from the semen? Why do you think my stomach still bigger than usual? What is the difference between bloating and a pregnant belly? Is the HPT I took reliable? (Just FYI, I took it 5 weeks after the contact w/ my bf's hand. It was also a store brand hpt.) And last, is it normal to have a 40 day cycle?

Thank you, I know this is very long, but I really need someone to help me.

--------------------
-Antonette

Posts: 3 | From: west virginia | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So you have had a regular period and two negative pregnancy tests since your last sexual contact? If so, you can be sure that you are not pregnant.

I cannot tell you why your belly looks bigger, but you can rest assured that it is not due to pregnancy: you would not be showing barely a month into pregnancy.

What is much more likely is that you are paying more attention to your body than usual because you are nervous, and that is why you are noticing things you did not see before.

As for your cycles: a 40-day cycle is on the longer side, but not at all unusual. How long are your cycles usually? Do you chart your period at all?

--------------------
-joey
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 8995 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antonettewa
Neophyte
Member # 107596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for antonettewa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I've had 2 regular periods. Is the hpt accurate if I take it one month after the sexual contact?

Well I only started my period 5 years ago and I thought I was irregular since I would have it for around 2 months then the next month I dont. I only started tracking it when the thought of pregnancy started bugging me. So far, my period in april ended in april 14th then my next one was on may 22. So 40 days.

--------------------
-Antonette

Posts: 3 | From: west virginia | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The instructions of pregnancy tests will always make clear how early they are accurate, and yes, one month later or more is plenty sufficient.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67076 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, at one month after sexual contact, you can be sure that the result from the pregnancy test is accurate. Especially since you got not one, but two negative results.

It is hard to tell if your period is irregulal if you have not been charting it consistently. So, it would be a good idea to keep track of your period for a few months, and see what you come up with. If you find that you do skip periods a lot, it would not be a bad idea to mention this at your next health check-up.

--------------------
-joey
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 8995 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antonettewa
Neophyte
Member # 107596

Okay. Thank you. Just curious again, what is the difference between an early pregnant belly and a bloated belly? How early do people usually experience the symptoms? I have had fluttering in my stomach lately and I've been gassy. Do you think it's related to pregnancy? I'm sorry but I've read online and some women are saying that they usually feel the flutter early in their pregnancy.

BTW, this is a really great and helpful site to people who are somewhat uneducated about sex (like me.) however, i have trouble logging in. Sometimes I get to log in, and sometimes it says that i'm not registered. Ive seen that you can text your questions instead. Is it free?

Again, thank you.

--------------------
-Antonette

Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi antonettewa. The ONLY reliable symptom of pregnancy is a missed period. Since you've had no missed periods, there's no reason to consider bloatedness to be a sign of pregnancy.

Have you had a look at these articles?

Where DID I Come From? A Refresher Course in Human Reproduction
Can I Get Pregnant, or Get or Pass On an STI From That?
Pregnancy Scared?
Chicken Soup for the Pregnancy Symptom Freakout's Soul

We actually ask that all users read those articles before asking anything about pregnancy risks, and I really think that they will help you out.

Posts: 1182 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.