Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Quick question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Quick question
Retro52
Neophyte
Member # 105177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Retro52     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,
I have a quick question about an HIV risk. I know I've asked you about sexual acts that pose an HIV risk, but what non-sexual and pose a risk for HIV? I was handed a piece of paper today that after holding it a few minutes I noticed it had red aplattered and smeared on it. If this was HIV infected blood and I had a cut near my finger nail, could it have infected me? Thank you. I'm just pretty unclear on whether HIV can be transmitted outside the body.

Posts: 32 | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi retro. Have you seen these articles we have about HIV?

The STI Files: Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)
Positively Informed: An HIV/AIDS Roundup

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Retro52
Neophyte
Member # 105177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Retro52     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. However I know all circumstances are different so I was wondering if you could comment on my exposure?
Posts: 32 | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really, that statement isn't entirely accurate -- there are some basic factors that need to be involved for a risk to be present. So actually, "all circumstances are different" doesn't really apply here. The factors that are necessary are outlined in out HIV articles. The CDC fact sheet on transmission also covers your question -- http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/qa/transmission.htm

You are coming back to the boards asking very similar questions repeatedly, and I think instead of analysing every minute possibility, it would be far more worth it to talk about what's underlying here. Often when we have users with anxiety over and over again about a certain situation/risk, what is actually going on is some underlying, bigger fear, that is not being addressed.

Do you have any diagnosed general anxiety disorder or other anxiety condition? Do you experience anxiety like this around other things, or just the idea of HIV infection?

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Retro52
Neophyte
Member # 105177

So are you saying that this situation I described that I had falls under what the CDC calls casual contact? It just kinda freaked me out to see what I thought could be blood and realized I had touched it. I guess I just want to be sure I had no risk there because it worries me. Can you tell me that? And I'd like to know that and then I'd like to discuss my anxiety issues if we can do those things.
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Please look again at the link I sent you -- it doesn't only talk about casual contact there, it deals directly with the kinds of questions you have been asking. Namely the "does HIV survive long outside of the body". And under the "casual contact" FAQ you can also follow the link they provide to studies of the few instances of "household" transmission that HAVE been reported, if you think that would help you reassure yourself.

I think from now on a clear line should be drawn -- we've given you all the information we have on HIV risk and transmission, we cannot give you anymore help around that, as we really don't have the resources to address every individual possibility. You have all the information you need to be able to assess any risk you may have. So it's time to focus on the big picture of the roots of the anxiety you're having around this.

Retro52
Neophyte
Member # 105177

I understand and I don't want to get in trouble with the sure, I was just trying to figure out if there was a risk. I thought I touched someone else's blood..that seems to me to be an understandable worry, but I don't want to hurt any boundaries. I did read the stories about household contact, are you saying they should ease my worry because those instances involved direct or probably direct contact, and mine didnt? I really do not want to get any boundaries, but since you pointed out those stories I just want to understand what you are saying.
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Yep, that is exactly what I meant -- your situation doesn't resemble any of the ones mentioned in those reports of even the rare instances of transmission, so hopefully that will help you reassure yourself about when you are realistically at risk or not.

Did you check out the section about how long HIV can last outside of the body? Reading that information, how did it make you feel -- did you feel relieved, more able to relax? Or are you still anxious? With that question answered, did other worries immediately come to mind, or were you able to let go of your concern around the situation?

Retro52
Neophyte
Member # 105177

Okay thank you, that's what I needed. Yes, I do become slightly anxious about these things which I do want to talk about but hearing no, you weren't at risk just helps because for all I know, it could have been one. But I'm glad to hear its not.

And honestly I've read those things before and all I can really think is that maybe what I touched had only been outside the body for a few seconds so maybe it was still a live virus. I'm not sure why I'm so anxious about it honestly.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.