Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: question
Rawrkitten2
Neophyte
Member # 101575

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Rawrkitten2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi scarleteen [Smile]
my boyfriend and I just have been really careful about the sexual choices we make so instead of doing something were unsure of then worrying and questioning it, id rather know some information first.
I'm not very comfortable with having sex yet so I have a question on genital rubbing. if my partner and I are both fully undressed and he has a condom on while we are rubbing genitals, would that cause any risk? without any penetration. and he would not ejaculate near my vagina. thanks!

Posts: 16 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Condoms don't leave us with no risk when it comes to direct genital contact: what they do is reduce the risk.

So, would there be no risk? Nope. Direct genital-to-genital contact, like intercourse and what you're talking about, presents both STI risks and risks of pregnancy.

But in one year of perfect use, condoms reduce the risk of pregnancy by around 98%, and in typical use, by around 85%.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67924 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rawrkitten2
Neophyte
Member # 101575

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rawrkitten2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks heather! I have another question. how do people even get pregnant even when they use a condom? if there's no tears, no breaks, so basically perfect use. how is there still 2 percent that can get pregnant? I would think there's no way since there's no sperm getting into the vagina?
Posts: 16 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Perfect use" of condoms doesn't mean they don't slip off or tear: that just means people have followed all the instructions and used them properly, but then that happened.

So, that's how condoms fail, in perfect use: by being used perfectly, but then having a break or slipping off.

In case that's still not clear, "typical" use means things like people not putting them on properly, not using them for all contact, nor using them every time, or not using lubricant as needed, which makes, perhaps obviously, the risks of slipoff, or tears higher, as well as presenting extra risks because of improper use.

[ 06-03-2013, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67924 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rawrkitten2
Neophyte
Member # 101575

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rawrkitten2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh okay I see so basically if there isn't any rips or tears, no semen leaked out, then there isn't a chance?
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you feel like you have a good sense of how to use condoms properly?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rawrkitten2
Neophyte
Member # 101575

yes
Heather
Member # 3

Okay. [Smile] So then, it's really up to you to figure out if this is something you're okay doing and want to do or not.

Not everyone will feel the same way: for some people a very small risk of pregnancy or STIs is something they're okay with, or feels worth it for them at the given time, and in the given situation. others -- or even the same person, at a different time -- won't feel okay with that.

There's no right or wrong here, just what you think is most right for you.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Rawrkitten2
Neophyte
Member # 101575

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Rawrkitten2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks so much for your help [Smile] haha. it's just like I had a bad pregnancy scare my first time so I've been worried about sex since then. I feel way more relaxed with all this information though. so thanks so much! [Smile]
Heather
Member # 3

You're welcome. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.