Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Negative HPT but no period?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Negative HPT but no period?
pineapple soda
Neophyte
Member # 107382

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pineapple soda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi again [Smile]

Because I took the Plan B pill due to the risk that I posted about earlier last month, I also took a First Response home pregnancy test just in case. Actually, I took four -- which may have been overkill, I know, but I wanted to be sure since pregnancy is not an option for me right now. The first was taken on May 5th about 15 days after the risk, the second was the day after my expected period, May 11th, and the other two were taken about a week ago, which would have been more than a week after the missed/expected period and almost a month after the risk. The most recent one was taken in the morning, when the urine would have been most concentrated. All four were negative and I'm pretty sure I followed the instructions correctly.

However, my period was supposed to arrive today and I still haven't gotten it. Assuming that the bleeding I had was caused by EC and was more or less the same length and flow as my normal periods, shouldn't I be due for my next one soon? Is it possible to get multiple negative HPTs and still be pregnant? I have some mild cramps but nothing else, and I'm trying not to stress too much, but the missing period is just really making me nervous.

Thanks!

Posts: 10 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haleigh H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haleigh H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pineapple soda,

There are quite a few reasons why you may miss a period. Taking emergency contraception could possibly throw off your cycle.

If you took Plan B as instructed and your pregnancy tests were negative I think you can rest easy.

Sometimes we just need some additional support, have you taken a look at these pages.

EC Questions
MIA, or Dude, Where's My Period
Emergency Contraception

I think you will find a lot of helpful information here. You can also use the search bar on the main site to find similar articles.

--------------------
Haleigh

Posts: 176 | From: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pineapple soda
Neophyte
Member # 107382

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pineapple soda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, I think I just needed to hear some reassurance from someone else. I'll definitely check out those articles. [Smile]

So just to be absolutely clear, the chances of getting four false negatives in a row is virtually zero, right?

Posts: 10 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.