Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Correct condom usage?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Correct condom usage?
Ruthie
Neophyte
Member # 107577

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ruthie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So my boyfriend and I had sex almost a week ago and I still cannot relax because I am so scared of being pregnant. We used a condom and put it on well before we actually had sex, but while he was hard. Then after a few thrusts (sorry that seems graphic), we kept the condom on but he put his shorts back on and we moved to a different location that was more comfortable, but not far away, like less than 10 minutes. I think he got a little soft during this moving time, but we checked the condom afterward and chose not to replace it because it wasn't at all damaged or anything. Then he got hard again, and we had sex. He pulled out right as the first "wave" of cum was going on. I am so nervous though because I think there was pre-cum in the condom before we moved, so I want to know if that could have leaked out and touched my vagina, even though he had gone to the bathroom twice right beforehand, so I don't think there could be sperm in it anyway? And then of course I'm nervous that I could get pregnant even from an unbroken condom and he pulled out right as he was cumming. We double (maybe triple) checked that condom after we were done and there was no damage whatsoever. Please just let me know if I'm freaking out for no reason, because it's not fun!
Posts: 3 | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI Ruthie and welcome to Scarleteen,

So long as the condom did not slip off or break, then it was used correctly.

In future, I would recommend changing condoms in this situation, as putting clothes on, moving around, etc, could create friction that could lead the condom to be more susceptible to breaking.

Just to be clear, you would know when a condom breaks. It doesn't just spring a little leak but shreds or rips noticeably.

Here's some more information about condoms so you can be better informed about how to make sure they're as effective as possible.

Condoms

Condom Basics: A User's Manual

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ruthie
Neophyte
Member # 107577

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ruthie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay thank you! And it's good to know that a condom can't just have a little hole or something.

So you don't think that there's a significant risk of pregnancy in this situation? My boyfriend keeps trying to reassure me but I am freaked out, maybe for no reason.

Posts: 3 | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there's always a pregnancy risk when one is engaging in sexual activity that could lead to pregnancy. But yes, if there was no condom failure, the risk is really quite low.

The only way to know if one is pregnant or not, though, is to take a pregnancy test. pregnancy tests are known to be accurate fourteen or more days after the sexual activity that could have led to pregnancy occurred.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.