Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Testing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Testing
Retro52
Neophyte
Member # 105177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Retro52     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello again,
A few months ago I posted about beig worried about HIV from performing oral sex on a male. It's been 3 months since then and is around the time I planned to get tested anyways, so I'm going to soon. However, I know you have said in posts to people before that you should just get regular testing and not focus on certain exposures getting tested for them specifically. My question is though, since it's been three months since oral sex I'd feel like a negative result would mean I didn't acquire HIV from that. But the same person gave cunniligus about a month later. So is this another risk for HIV transmission? Or when I get tested, can I know for sure I don't have HIV? I have had no other sexual contact other than those two things in the past 3 months. And since my last test, all I've had is someone fingered me once (please let me know if that is a risk for contracting HIV as well). Thanks.

Posts: 32 | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[
Hi Retro52

HIV is mainly spread through the following body fluids: blood, semen and other penile secretions, vaginal secretions, and breast milk

So, unles the person doing the fingering has an open cut on their finger, risk of transmission from them to you isn't at all likely.

The risk from cunnilingus is low, as saliva is not known to transmit the virus, so unless the person had open cuts or bleeding gums, HIV transmission is unlikely.

The soundest way to figure out what tests you need and when is to go talk with a healthcare provider, share your sexual history with them, and discuss when you need to be tested and what tests you need. Do you have a healthcare provider or clinic you can go to?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Retro52
Neophyte
Member # 105177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Retro52     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I do. I guess all I want to know is if I go get tested tomorrow and it is negative, can I accept that as negative or could I have gotten HIV from someone performing cunnilungus on me?
Posts: 32 | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I said above, HIV transmission from someone performing cunnilingus is less likely than through other means, based on what we know about how HIV is transmitted. These are questions you can ask your healthcare provider, though. They're their to answer questions, not just to administer the tests. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Retro52
Neophyte
Member # 105177

I know. And I will ask. I suppose I just want to put any potential fears I have to rest and getting tested this week would help me with that, and now that I realize I may have to wait another month to do so and get an accurate result upsets me. I just want to know if I should go ahead and do it and feel better if it's negative or if the cunnilingus act itself warrants testing.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

That would be a really good question to ask your health care provider. Do you have an appointment in to see them?

--------------------
Robin

Retro52
Neophyte
Member # 105177

Yes. I'd just like to know before hand so I don't waste time going in and I'm uncomfortable callig and asking them that which is why I'm here for you alls opinion.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Well, as I said above, saliva is not one of the fluids known to transmit HIV. However, if the person's gums were bleeding or they had an open cut or sore in their mouth, there could be a higher risk of transmission. I really can't advise you on when to get tested though. I know it's uncomfortable to speak these concerns and questions out loud, but health care providers hear everything.

You're also not wasting time getting tested as there are plenty of other tests that it's sound to get and the results of which are known to be accurate after two months. So, I'd suggest either calling your provider and asking how long after receiving oral sex you should wait before you get tested, or going in for an appointment and asking them there.

--------------------
Robin

Retro52
Neophyte
Member # 105177

Thank you. I see that it is a low enough risk that I won't worry about it and just get HIV tested for the risk when I performed oral sex. Thanks.
Retro52
Neophyte
Member # 105177

Hello again I had one more question before my testing. I've heard hive rapid blood tests can have false positives but have gotten mixed answers from health care professionals about the topic. Do you know if some sort of ill was such as having seasonal allergies can cause a false positive test? The last thing I need is to go in and get a false positive since I have allergies.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rapid testing is not perfect, and blood testing is more accurate, but it's a pretty subtle difference.

But the right person to ask about which test is right for you is your healthcare provider.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Retro52
Neophyte
Member # 105177

I just wasn't getting a great answer from them and was hoping you could she'd some light on it for me and on false positives. I just don't want to go in right now and be scared for no reason.
Retro52
Neophyte
Member # 105177

Also I was curious, heather, on your opinions on whether or not you could catch HIV from manual stimulation of a mans fingers? A lot of my friends are curious about this as it seems to be a debated topic.
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With any kind of testing, the only sound people to talk to about decisions with that are the people who'd provide your tests. If you don't feel confident in your healthcare provider's opinions with that, then it's time to seek out different providers whose expertise you DO trust. Know what I mean?

Manual sex is not something that has been associated with HIV transmission.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Also, just so you have some extra info on your concerns about rapid testing, why don't you have a look at this: http://aids.about.com/od/hivtesting/a/rapidhiv.htm

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Retro52
Neophyte
Member # 105177

That's great thank you so much!
Heather
Member # 3

You got it. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.