Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » What to look for

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What to look for
BearsFan
Neophyte
Member # 102027

Icon 5 posted      Profile for BearsFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just read all of the topics at the top about pregnancy and implantation bleeding. I understand them and they helped me, but I do have a couple questions about what I should do in the next few days.

Last menstrual cycle, I was on trinessa and when I transferred my script down to school, they switched me to tri-previfem. That was fine by me. On day 18 of my pills last month, I had sex with my ex - a rather complicated situation I have since remedied - and he came inside of me even though I made a rule that he isn't allowed to. Again, we had a conversation afterward and I have chosen to distance myself from him because of the complicated breakup. I was afraid it could get me pregnant but I had my "period" just as heavy as usual. It came around the middle of my 28-day pack's sugar pills and all was well.

Fast forward to this month. We've had finals recently and I went to a different time zone for all of week two of my four week pack. The time zone messed up the time I had to take my pills (I take them at night but couldn't stay up late enough to take them at the right time).I had missed two pills that week and took them the next mornings. In addition, I was on prednisone, azithromicin and allegra the first week of my pills. I've been consistently taking them since the beginning of week three and hadn't had sex between my last period and this past Wednesday. I was on the pill regularly by then and did not let the guy come remotely close to finishing inside me.

My sugar pills start tomorrow, but I have some light (for my flow) bright red bleeding today. I haven't had time to watch the flow obviously because it just started today but given the circumstances, what do you think I should look for? I will take a test sometime in the middle of the week just to be sure I'm not pregnant. With the timing issues, antibiotics and lack of sex, I'm fairly sure I'm okay and that's why I seem a bit early (the last few months, I've bled a couple days into the sugar pills), but I am scheduled to have surgery during the beginning of June and so I need to see how things will work.

There's always a big "if" and this one has already inspired a serious lifestyle change, but if you have any advice on what to look for (besides my flow increasing to what is basically a normal period), that would be very helpful.

Posts: 5 | From: Indiana | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi BearsFan,

It's possible that your withdrawal bleed came a little early because of the changes in your pill-taking recently, both switching to a new brand and having more erratic pill taking times for part of this cycle. That isn't a sign that the pill isn't at it's full effectiveness.

Right now, all you really can do is wait to see if this bleeding continues, and if it does, or if it stops and starts again (periods or withdrawal bleeds can do that sometimes), then you can know it's your withdrawal bleed 9what we call a period when someone is taking birth control pills).

If you are still concerned about pregnancy, you'll need to wait until 14 or more days after the sexual activity you engaged in before a test can be considered accurate.

Considering that you're having these worries, what do you think about using condoms for all future intercourse, if you choose to continue engaging in that sexual activity? This also has the added benefit of providing protection against STIs (sexually transmitted infections). Have you recently been tested for STIs?

[ 05-18-2013, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: Robin Lee ]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BearsFan
Neophyte
Member # 102027

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BearsFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have decided to use them for the future no matter what as part of that change. However, I haven't been tested. My boyfriend was tested as a college athlete right before we started dating and all tests were negative. I've only had one partner of any sort and so I figured that I couldn't get anything if he was clean, which he was. If and when I have another partner, I will definitely get tested.

I figured that waiting it out was the best option in addition to ensuring condoms are used in all future situations and I can assure you that they will be. But with a planned surgery in two weeks, I have to take every precaution. It would be devastating having to tell my parents I couldn't have this surgery because I was pregnant or have to go through a possible medical abortion before then and hope the doctor doesn't mention it on any pre-op blood tests. Thank you very much.

Posts: 5 | From: Indiana | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi There,

You're welcome. With the pill, as well as withdrawal, which it sounds like was done correctly (withdrawing well before ejaculation) pregnancy is unlikely, though whenever there is sexual activity that could lead to pregnancy it's always possible.

About STI testing, as part of this change you've described, which sounds like a change towards taking good care of yourself, I'd actually suggest that you go ahead and get tested, when you can, so you'll have a baseline, and you'll be in the habit of testing.

And, unless you saw your ex's test results, you only have his word on what they were. [Smile]

Also, just for future reference, "clean" isn't a soud word to use to describe having tested negative for STIs. It implies that people with STIs are dirty, which couldn't be further from the truth and is also a disrespectful implication. does that make sense? [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BearsFan
Neophyte
Member # 102027

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BearsFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you again! I will keep all those things in mind. The changes will certainly have a positive effect on both my physical and mental health and are much needed.
I do, however, have one last question. Usually when my period starts, it's dark brown and turns to a deep bright red and then back to the dark color the last day or two. The spotting is bright red right now. What factors can cause this, to your knowledge?

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually brown blood is just an indication that it's older blood - that it's been hanging around in the body for awhile before making its way out. Bright red blood often means the opposite of that. (There may be other factors I'm not aware of, so I'll have a look around and see if there's any information available on the subject, but to the best of my knowledge it's generally simply a case of older blood vs newer blood.)

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BearsFan
Neophyte
Member # 102027

Okay. So far it's been a lighter flow than my usual period but its more than spotting. I'm going to take a test Wednesday morning but I'm pretty sure I'm not pregnant. When I first started the pill, my periods always started on the first day of sugar pills or one day early. It's plausible that because I started bleeding on time, it hasn't been darker like it is when I start in the middle of my sugar pills. Also, as I stated earlier, I didn't have any sexual activity from the beginning of my last bleed to the middle of this past week so there was no chance of pregnancy. I think the stress of school, organizations, a trip to a new time zone, a breakup and my grandma's death probably threw my body out of wack :/

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.