Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Pregnancy risk??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pregnancy risk??
watermeloncraze
Neophyte
Member # 107494

Icon 4 posted      Profile for watermeloncraze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, I'm curious on how much of a risk of pregnancy I have- my partner and I used a condom, I am on birth control and have never missed a pill (however did once this month take two by accident) and my partner has never cum. I'm just curious as to how likely is it for me to get pregnant. Thanks [Smile]
Posts: 27 | From: New York | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to our article here (The Buddy System) the probability of pregnancy when using condoms and not ejaculating would be:

"Withdrawal + Male Condoms = 99.92% effective with perfect use - 95.95% effective with typical use"

So that means 8 out of 10'000 people would get pregnant this way if they used this method with perfect use for an entire year. That's very very few. And this is just based on the maths... I can't actually imagine how a pregnancy would occur that way so perhaps if we tested it it would be even less.

but if you factor in the 99.7% effectiveness of oral contraceptive, i.e. 3 in 1000

8*3/1000*10000 that makes 24 people in every 10 million, using that as a method for a whole year. That's rather low risk if you ask me.

To put that in context 1 in 14 million is winning the Jackpot in a 6 ball national lottery. Getting 5 numbers would be 1 in 2 million, and often prizes are enough to buy a house with.

Enjoy the stats!

[ 05-19-2013, 06:52 AM: Message edited by: Jacob at Scarleteen ]

Posts: 694 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
watermeloncraze
Neophyte
Member # 107494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for watermeloncraze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also want to know how much worse is it if the condoms are left in the glove compartment in the car?
Posts: 27 | From: New York | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well watermelon, mistreating condoms by leaving them in a hot place (so it depends on how hot the glove compartment gets), can effect their chemistry so that they can be more liable to break. Breakage is how condoms fail. So if the condoms aren't breaking you can assume stats like what I provided, and if they are then you're relying on those two methods; withdrawal & the oral contraceptive, which as you'll notice from the article is 99.99% effectiveness.

These are very very significant reductions in risk... with these very very small risks which result, differentiating between different types of 'very unlikely' gets somewhat surreal.

It can be better simply to ask whether we can accept that risks of unwanted pregnancy, of being emotionally hurt, or catching a disease exist when we have sex. It is important that we are free to mitigate against those risks... but at some point in order to have and enjoy sex some level of risk acceptance is something we're going to need. Otherwise, why not simply hold back from sex acts that carry that level of anxiety, until such a time as we feel differently?

[ 05-19-2013, 07:34 AM: Message edited by: Jacob at Scarleteen ]

Posts: 694 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
watermeloncraze
Neophyte
Member # 107494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for watermeloncraze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're right thank you so much for the advice- no the condoms haven't broken so i assume your statistics are correct. [Smile]
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Well if the glove compartment gets hot. Do keep them somewhere else if you can, even just to keep good practise.
watermeloncraze
Neophyte
Member # 107494

yeah i mean the risk is just rather scary to think about unwanted pregnancies- but from what you're telling me its pretty unlikely
watermeloncraze
Neophyte
Member # 107494

I also took plan b about 43 hours because i was worried the condoms broke so i'm waiting for my period to come and im overly nervous and terrified despite the fact i probably shouldn't be i'm wondering how much lower is my risk and also if i will get a period or not because of the hormones i had sex a week before i was going to take my placebos
Allie R
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 102566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Allie R     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey there watermeloncraze,

Plan B could potentially throw your menstrual cycle off a bit, but don't let that worry you in terms of pregnancy. Based on Jacob's math, you can be extremely confident that pregnancy won't be the reason you miss your period.

--------------------
AAR

Posts: 109 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
watermeloncraze
Neophyte
Member # 107494

thats awesome to know caus ive been worrying myself to death because i have some back pain and a headache but its good to know that i can be pretty confident that everythings all good

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.