Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » diagnosed with bacterial vaginosis & kind of worried

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: diagnosed with bacterial vaginosis & kind of worried
justpeachy
Activist
Member # 26195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justpeachy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to see my gyno for my annual physical this past Monday and brought up the fact that I've been experiencing itching around my vaginal opening/my outer labia. I told her I've been experiencing it for a while, I'm honestly not sure how long, but I know it has been a fairly long time.

I'm worried for a few different reasons now.

My gynecologist examined me and said the outside looked irritated and she thought it was a yeast infection. I haven't experienced any foul odor or unusual discharge and my gyno agreed. She started me on diflucan so I took 1 pill that night but 4 days later I didn't feel any relief so I took the second diflucan. I had actually called my doctors office that day before I took the 2nd pill because I wanted to tell her I still wasn't feeling better but she was not in. She called me back first thing the next morning and told me I actually didn't test positive for any yeast but I in fact tested positive for bacterial vaginosis and strep I believe she said. So she prescribed me vaginal metro gel. I took my first does last night. So far (i know I have only taken 1 dose) I'm not feeling any better, my outer labia are still so so itchy and the moistness from the medication coming out of my vagina seems to be irritating the itchy skin more. I'm scared because I really didn't have symptoms of BV and yet the test was positive for it, but could it have been wrong? I was reading a book all about vaginal infections and problems and it said to test positive for BV there were 4 things that should be done: 1.exam 2.pH 3.wet prep 4.whiff test. As far as I know just a swab was taken during the exam and then examined in the lab later on. Should I call my doc and ask if these other things were looked at?? Also I'm worried that I was treated for a yeast infection and didn't really have one and now I could possibly get one from that medication or the medication for the BV.

I'm also worried because I have really been trying to think of when this itching started happening and I'm worried this has been going on for years. I was so embarrassed to bring this up to my gyno but finally it was bad enough this time to tell her and now I feel so stupid for having waited this long :'( I always thought the itching was due to psoriasis so I just kind of dealt with it and I'm guessing it could have become infected from scratching and I also wear a lot of thongs so bacteria traveling from my anus to vagina could happen. Maybe that's how I got the BV, I'm honestly not sure. I've had the same boyfriend for the last 5 years and we've been monogamous.

I just hope this all clears up.. do you think the itching will go away with this metrogel? Please help!!

Posts: 61 | From: right here : ) | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi justpeachy,

A lot of these questions are ones that your gynecologist would be the best person to ask.

I'm really glad you finally mentioned this to her, as she can help you get to the bottom of it.

Until you get this cleared up, I would suggest not wearing thongs, and instead wearing loose, breathable underwear and avoiding tight pants or shorts.

I'm not aware of yeast infection medication causing yeast infections, and you can ask your gyn if you need to worry about yeast with the BV treatment.

Unfortunately, symptoms don't always go away with the first dose, so how about you continue with the treatment and if you're still feeling just as uncomfortable on Monday you can give your gynecologist's office a call.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
justpeachy
Activist
Member # 26195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justpeachy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the advice Robin! I've been wearing normal cotton underwear since my gyn appointment and have been staying away from the thongs. I've also been trying to wear loose pants. Also I meant to mention in my previous post that for the first time in all the times I've had a pap smear I bleed afterwards. It wasn't fresh blood but brown and it happened for 2 or 3 days after my appointment. The exam didn't hurt at all but it was a tiny bit uncomfortable. Could the bleeding have been caused from this infection o have? Or is it normal for this to happen after a pap? It just never happened before until this last time
Posts: 61 | From: right here : ) | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some people do experience bleeding after a pelvic exam. Since you are being treated for an infection, I'd advise mentioning the bleeding to your gynecologist, just so she has as much information as possible about what is going on with your body.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
justpeachy
Activist
Member # 26195

Thank you [Smile] I will have to mention this to her! When I spoke to her a couple days ago my head was spinning after all the information she gave me so I didn't even think to mention the bleeding or other questions!

[ 05-25-2013, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: justpeachy ]

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

That's understandable that your head was spinning. It's a lot to take in. Many people find it helpful to write down their questions so they don't have to try to organize their minds to remember them.

--------------------
Robin

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.