Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Birth control pregnancy question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth control pregnancy question
Armywife93
Neophyte
Member # 107556

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Armywife93     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I started birth control (reclipsen) the Sunday after the first of may. I had unprotected sex about 2 days after that and so on and so forth even on my ovulation days because my doctor said that the birth control would go immediately into my system and be effective. Lately I've been feeling sick and getting migraines when I first wake up. So I looked online to find out whether I had made a bad move by not waiting because I've never used pills before. I was wondering what are my chances of being pregnant?
Posts: 9 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your pill packet -- the patient insert that comes with pills -- makes clear that when doing a day one or Sunday start, you will need to use a backup method for seven days after starting before you can rely on your pill's full effectiveness.

That's standard with all birth control pills, so if your doctor told you otherwise, I'm afraid that wasn't sound information they gave you.

Do you have a late period/withdrawal bleed yet? Mind, nausea and migraines are two common side effects with combined birth control pills, so these symptoms are not more likely to be about pregnancy than they are about your pill.

If you need a copy of that patient insert, btw, here it is for you online: http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/lookup.cfm?setid=add7f052-f93f-495c-99c5-1ec8ae9db5ef

[ 05-20-2013, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armywife93
Neophyte
Member # 107556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Armywife93     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't yet because it isn't quite time for my period but my doctor said that I wouldn't get one the first month of taking the pills. I'm just worried because I have felt a lot more fatigued in the last week or so than I have since starting the pill and the headaches have gotten worse along with the nausea.
Posts: 9 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's starting to sound like your doctor's contraception education isn't so great. [Frown]

For sure, some users of the pill won't get any flow in the first pack or two of pills: others will. It varies.

What I'd suggest is that when it's time for your placebo pills, if you get to the end of them and haven't had a withdrawal bleed, you go ahead and test for pregnancy, just in case.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armywife93
Neophyte
Member # 107556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Armywife93     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for giving me this information I thought I was going crazy because of all the different opinions online contradicting what my doctor said. Thank you so much again.
Heather
Member # 3

Of course.

My best advice, with any medication you take is to always make sure to read the patient information yourself and know that ANYTHING in that material is pretty much The Golden Rule. Even when we have doctors also giving us information, we still want to read the leaflets and other info that come with a medication on our own.

And in the event a doctor tells you something different than the medication information itself says, then I'd ask the doctor to explain the discrepancy. Just for future reference.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Armywife93
Neophyte
Member # 107556

I will thank you
Meggsy
Neophyte
Member # 104252

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meggsy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suggest a visit to the pharmacy and get a pregnancy test kit.
When in doubt - RTFL. Read the flamin literature.

Posts: 37 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI Meggsy,

Just a quick note to let you know that the "ask Scarleteen" and "emergencies and crises" forums are both for staf and volunteer responses only, so in future, please refrain from responding to threads in those forums, unless, of course, they're threads that you started.

Thanks.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meggsy
Neophyte
Member # 104252

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meggsy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry -
Posts: 37 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.