Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Worried about getting people pregnant? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Worried about getting people pregnant?
harmon
Activist
Member # 107422

Icon 1 posted      Profile for harmon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am male and every time I masturbate I really worry that I haven't cleaned enough and there could still be sperm on me then I could touch something (eg toilet roll/seat) then a female could touch and go toilet and get pregnant? Also I worry that there could be sperm in urine which could splash on the seat or toilet roll and get someone pregnant. Finally if sperm got in my mouth how long would it survive? Would soap kill it if I washed my mouth? If there was still some in my mouth and I touched my mouth or used a fork etc and then someone touched it, could they get pregnant? Sorry for sounding strange, in just so worried. Thank you do much.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI harmon and welcome to Scarleteen,

None of the scenarios you've described can get someone pregnant. For more on how pregnancy *does* happen take a look at this:

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advice/can_i_get_pregnant_or_get_or_pass_on_an_sti_from_that

and also this:
http://www.scarleteen.com/article/reproduction/where_did_i_come_from_a_refresher_course_in_human_reproduction

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
harmon
Activist
Member # 107422

Icon 1 posted      Profile for harmon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, thanks I read them. So even if I didn't clean properly and there was traces of sperm on my hands/mouth/toilet seat or tissue/ any other surface, there's no risk of pregnancy even if someone did touch it and then went toilet or whatever? The only reason I ask is because I found out that sperm can live up to 3 hrs outside the body and even longer in the mouth, so your certain?
Posts: 46 | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I'm certain. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
harmon
Activist
Member # 107422

Ok thanks, so just out of curiosity how long could sperm live in the mouth?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Hi Harmon,

You know, I don't think we have data on sperm's ability to survive in the mouth. However, as you read in the articles I linked you to above, sperm need their semen in order to do anything.

Hence, direct contact between bare genitals, or between freshly ejaculated semen (not any other fluid that semen might happen to have gotten into, such as saliva) and a bare vulva are the ways that people can get pregnant.

[ 04-30-2013, 06:04 AM: Message edited by: Robin Lee ]

--------------------
Robin

harmon
Activist
Member # 107422

Ok, it's just I got some in my mouth 5 days ago, would there still be any live sperm in my mouth now?
Patricia H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patricia H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope.

--------------------
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum. - Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale

Posts: 234 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
harmon
Activist
Member # 107422

Ok, thank you so much. I'm really sorry for keeping asking questions it was just really worrying me. So just to finally verify, if there is no direct genital to genital or semen to genital contact there is no risk of pregnancy, even if there was sperm on me if I didn't clean it properly after masturbation and then someone else touches it? I'm sorry again.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

That's correct.

--------------------
Robin

harmon
Activist
Member # 107422

Ok thank you so much, I still feel a bit unsure and worried about this but I feel a lot better now. I just keep on telling myself if it was that easy to get pregnant then people would miraculously be getting pregnant all the time! But without a doubt its not possible, so I can stop thinking I haven't clean enough and just think even if there is some, so what? Nothing bad will happen. Thanks again, if I have another similar worry is it ok for me to come back and ask in the future?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

If you have a similar worry, the first thing to do would be to look through what you've already learned. [Smile] But of course you can come back if you need more information or have something you want to talk about. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

harmon
Activist
Member # 107422

Ok, one more quick question - sorry to be a nuisance. If I precum a lot, could it travel through my underwear and jeans and still be alive, and also is I urinated with precum could it splash onto the seat or tissue?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

I'm not sure what you're asking here. Urination and pre-ejaculation are two different things and don't happen at the same time.

There's also nothing "alive" about pre-ejaculate. Sometimes pre-ejaculate contains sperm that it picks up from the urethra (which is what it comes out of) but pre-ejaculate itself doesn't contain sperm the way ejaculate does.

Can you reread the articles I linked you to above? I think reading the article on how reproduction works might help you here.

--------------------
Robin

harmon
Activist
Member # 107422

Yeah I mean the sperm when I say alive, and I mean when I ultimate could there be some precum in it that then splashes on a seat, sorry for bein unclear.
harmon
Activist
Member # 107422

Whoops, didn't mean ultimate, meant urinate
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

As I said above, pre-ejaculate and urine are really unlikely to come out at the same time. pre-ejaculate is only produced when someone is aroused and doesn't come out of the bladder as urine does.

--------------------
Robin

harmon
Activist
Member # 107422

I realise this, I meant if there was precum in the urethra?sorry for not explaining again
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

again, though, the ways you're concerned people could get pregnant just aren't viable points of concern. People don't get pregnant those ways. Period.

--------------------
Robin

harmon
Activist
Member # 107422

Ok, I'm sorry. I guess it's just because I've been worrying about it for sooooo long that's it like a second nature to worry. I guess I just keep thinking what if? And coming up with new scenarios and situations, but I guess they all boil down to the same thing - without any kind of sexual contact pregnancy isn't a concern, so have you never heard of someone getting pregnant without having any sexual contact?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

It's certainly hard to just turn off the worrying like flipping off a light switch.

People who get pregnant without contact between bare genitals (penis and vulva) or by contact between a bare vulva and fresh ejaculate are people who go through assisted reproduction, such as in vitro fertilization--that's it.

--------------------
Robin

harmon
Activist
Member # 107422

Icon 11 posted      Profile for harmon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And the things I'm worried about dont involve fresh ejaculate, is this correct? What exactly does fresh ejaculate mean?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Have you had a chance to reread the articles I linked you to above?

--------------------
Robin

harmon
Activist
Member # 107422

Yeah I did, but I didn't see anything regarding what is considered fresh ejaculate, did I miss it?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

When people say fresh ejaculate, they mean ejaculate that has just come from a penis; that would mean that in order for pregnancy to occur someone with a penis would have to be in the same room as someone with a vulva and ejaculate directly onto the vulva (or engage in genital contact).

Taking a look at this article might help:

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/reproduction/whats_the_risk_easy_pregnancy_risk_assessments

The worries you're expressing here are *not* founded in fact. I'm not really sure how to make this any clearer. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

harmon
Activist
Member # 107422

What do you mean by their not founded?
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It means that there is no reason to worry about the things you are worrying about.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
harmon
Activist
Member # 107422

Ok, thank you very much! I'll try my best to stop worrying, I feel a lot better now! Thank you so so much again! [Smile]
harmon
Activist
Member # 107422

Hi, I've got a new question- I wasn't sure whether or not to start a new thread so let me know if I should have. Basically I've read on some articles that sperm tends to survive 20 mins outside the body and once the semen is dry, there is no live sperm in it. About 4 hours ago I had a wet dream and changed my underwear, I just went to put the underwear in the wash but they were still wet. So my question is is there any live sperm there? As it was 4 hours ago, so most likely not- but it's still wet?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

It's really not possible for us to say whether there was live sperm there, as the only way to determine that would be to run a lab test. [Smile]

However, all we know about sperm tells us that it was most likely not alive, and, even if it were, it has no way to get anywhere. Sperm don't jump, crawl, or do any other sort of movement on their own.

I'm concerned that you're still having some confusion about how pregnancy can and cannot occur. Are you?

--------------------
Robin

harmon
Activist
Member # 107422

Ok, no I was more concerned that I touched it or got on my feet when I changed clothes or whatever. But I felt fine because I thought by the time I wake up it will be dead anyway, but when I saw it was still wet I got really worried that I may have spread it somewhere, and then someone else could have touched it and so on, and possibly cause pregnancy. But I told myself - even if it still alive, and even if by some chance I did spread a but of it somewhere and a woman did touch it and then go toilet or whatever, pregnancy isn't a risk. I think I need to stop thinking 'what if' and think 'so what- what will happen', do you agree?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're not thinking rationally, and I think that's really the problem here.

To be clear, I don't think it's just about thinking "what if," when you're not thinking about things that could actually happen, just like if, say, I was thinking "what if?" about zombies breaking into my house in the next five minutes and eating my brains with chocolate sauce.

The way you're thinking about pregnancy risks isn't connected to the reality of how pregnancy happens. Sperm cells aren't viruses, they can't just spread themselves around (and even viruses usually only have specific ways they can do that). People cannot become pregnant by touching sperm cells like this: that just isn't any more real than zombies or Santa Claus.

(And sorry if you didn't know about Santa. [Razz] )

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
harmon
Activist
Member # 107422

It's ok ha ha. I realise people can't get pregnant from just touching sperm, but if this the case if they then say went toilet as an example and touched their vagina with the same hand?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still no, as those links we've given you earlier explain.

Seriously, try and hear me here: we're reading all of what you're posting, and are telling you these scenarios aren't a reality per conception because they just are not.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
harmon
Activist
Member # 107422

Ok, I'm really sorry. It's just when I get in a panic, all logic seems to go out of my head. You know what your talking about, again I'm really sorry. Thank you very much.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.