Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Underwear

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Underwear
Stargirl85
Activist
Member # 26547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stargirl85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, My sister came to me today with a concern and I wasn't quite sure to tell her so I figured I would ask you guys.

She went into a the mall yesterday to return an item. She ended up going into a bra/underwear store and deciding to buy a few things but was not wearing underwear herself so she asked the salesperson if they had sanitary disposable underwear as some stores do. The salesperson came back with a pair of underwear from the back that they claimed had never been worn (from a pile of misc underwear that came from the on-display mannequins or that women did not care to have (that would have came with their lingerie or whatever). She said the underwear has never left the store and has most likely not been worn, they were just random pairs not really to be sold.

My sister decided that was okay and went into the change room to try on the underwear. She said that when she was putting on this pair, she maybe put it on for a second or two and then was too paranoid about it so she used a panty liner over top of that. She also said she inspected the underwear before and it didn't look worn but who knows..

Her concern is that that pair of underwear has already touched her vaginal area, and there is no way to tell whether or not it had been worn before. Can she catch anything from this? HPV, Herpes, any STD or bacterial infection? Was this a big mistake on her part? She said it was just a few seconds top before putting a pad on.

Also, after she was done trying on underwear, the pair she used to try everything on was thrown out. Should she be worrying about this??

Posts: 104 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see any reason not to trust the salesperson here, particularly since stores have liability around these things.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stargirl85
Activist
Member # 26547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stargirl85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My sister said the salesperson said that she doesn't believe anyones worn it but she cannot be 100% sure. The only thing I could think of, especially since they threw that pair away after my sister used it, is the only way it could have been previously worn is if a woman tried on a bra and underwear set (THAT underwear) and decided not to keep it and just took the bra or lingerie slip. That person could have tried on underwear then, with or without her own pair. Other than that it could just be the other half to a set out on the mannequin. Also, chances are if that pair had been tried on, it could have been days or weeks ago.

Either way, is this usually cause for concern for any type of std? public lice or such? she wants to test now at some point and I'm thinking that may be overkill for a few seconds of questionable underwear.

[ 05-16-2013, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: Stargirl85 ]

Posts: 104 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really, if she had, let's say, put on underwear someone else had worn before, you're really only looking at a risk of pubic lice when it comes to infections.

But ultimately, this is done, so I'd say worrying about it isn't sound. If she's someone who keeps current with her sexual healthcare in general, it's all good.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.