Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Average number of sex acts in a year to calculate contraceptive effectiveness?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Average number of sex acts in a year to calculate contraceptive effectiveness?
No Longer New To This
Neophyte
Member # 39160

Icon 1 posted      Profile for No Longer New To This     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry for the trouble, but I know that there are yearly figures for contraceptive effectiveness rates. Is there an average number to calculate a risk for a single sex act? (Only counting PIV sex for this to avoid skewing data.)

Sorry--I'm making a spreadsheet for poly people to calculate cumulative STI risks as well as pregnancy risks when using the buddy method, and having concrete numbers seems to help! I'd be happy to share a copy of the spreadsheet when I've finished it, if folks are interested.

Posts: 38 | From: Traveling | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure the information you're looking for exists, or how useful it would even be to have. The effectiveness rates of contraceptive use aren't dependent on the number of times in a year that people have sex, so trying to figure out the risk from an individual instance of intercourse isn't really possible the way you seem to be thinking.

It might be that I've misunderstood your question, though, so if I've completely missed the mark please let me know.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
No Longer New To This
Neophyte
Member # 39160

Icon 1 posted      Profile for No Longer New To This     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'd imagine that having sex just once in a year is less likely to result in pregnancy than having sex daily for a year. Just having a baseline to get some ideas about how those rates would compare to our real lives seems like it could be helpful.

It does seem that the studies listing contraceptive effectiveness don't list any general numbers for how often folks are having sex, though, so the information may be nonexistent. I just thought I'd check if I could.

Here is a link to the google spreadsheet I've been putting together, for reference: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApkHra8hcJ_jdExxU3hwOG8xLVVIQVRXZHd4Y3hKRWc&usp=sharing

Posts: 38 | From: Traveling | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenna G.
Neophyte
Member # 96090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenna G.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there,
I think you are asking a really great question! Unfortunately this isn't really something that you can calculate.

For contraception, effectiveness rates are calculated based on out of 100 women, how many will not get pregnant from using a certain method. But everyone is different, and the effectiveness rates are not dependent on how often you are having sex.

For STIs, like you have on your spreadsheet, you really cannot predict that. It depends on who you are having sex with (whether they have an STI or not), and how common it is in your community.

--------------------
-Jenna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Posts: 14 | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
No Longer New To This
Neophyte
Member # 39160

Hello,

As best we could determine from the sources listed in the first tab, those are the rates of transmission during protected intercourse. The point of the spreadsheet is to assess a poly risk. For instance, if my boyfriend's wife's boyfriend sleeps with someone with a given STI unknowingly, what is my own risk as it goes through the chain? That's why we make it a policy to get tested every three months. It reduces everyone's cumulative risk.

I hope that makes a bit more sense. Thank you for your response! I guess I'll have to rework that tab of the spreadsheet.

Jenna G.
Neophyte
Member # 96090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenna G.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely agree that getting tested on a regular basis is a great way to reduce everyone's risk. [Smile] This seems to be pretty tricky to calculate, so getting tested regularly and using protection like condoms is the best way to decrease the likelihood of STI transmission.

--------------------
-Jenna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Posts: 14 | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
No Longer New To This
Neophyte
Member # 39160

One of my boyfriends is big on math and research, so we worked together on making sure the numbers worked out properly. Scarleteen is welcome to use the spreadsheet if they'd like, although I'd rather my name stay off of it, haha.
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi No Longer New To This,

I think what you've done here is interesting. However, statistics can't account for things like an individual's immune response to infection or virus exposure, the amount to which safer sex practices protect, and just plain luck-of-the-draw.

So, consistent testing and safer sex practices really are your soundest practices for reducing the risks of STI transmission and I'm glad to hear you're already on board with that. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.