Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » whats the chance of me getting pregnant???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: whats the chance of me getting pregnant???
casey4ever1
Neophyte
Member # 107502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for casey4ever1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I've been on ortho tri cyclen lo for 16 days now.my boyfriend came over saturfay and we had a little fun *twice* and he didn't wear a condom either time and finished inside me twice. How well does ortho tri cyclen lo work and what's the chance or me getting pregnant?
Posts: 2 | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi casey4ever1 and welcome to Scarleteen,

When you were prescribed the birth control pill, did your healthcare provider talk with you about how long it would take before the pill would reach it's full effectiveness?

When iny your cycle did you start taking it? That will affect how long it takes to reach its full effectiveness.

It takes about 7 days of taking the pill for it to reach full effectiveness, more for some people and les for others. Since there is no way to know when the pill starts doing its job, we usually recommend to people that they use a second method of birth control for the entire first cycle of taking it.

As you'll read in the information I'm going to link you to below, the pill is never 100% effective at preventing pregnancy, so if you're not wanting to become pregnant, and aren't comfortable with the amount of protection the pill does give you, you'll want to use a second method from this point forward.

For now, if you're concerned based on the information I've given you here, and want to take a pregnancy test to make sure, you'll want to wait until two weeks after the sex occurred to ensure that the results are accurate.

Combined Oral Contraceptives (The Pill)

Three questions about taking the birth control pill (and plenty of answers)

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
casey4ever1
Neophyte
Member # 107502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for casey4ever1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I started taking it the sunday after my period started and if its a sunday start like I am, it said it would take several days for it to take effect.
Posts: 2 | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Given you did a Sunday start, so long as you've taken all your pills on time and properly, you should have had the full effectiveness your pill offers by around a week in.

So, your pregnancy risks would be very low in this case. STI risks are something else, just so you're aware, as the pill offers no STI protection.

Just do be sure that you take all the pills in the rest of this pack properly, okay? That always matters, but it matters an awful lot in that first pack if you're engaging in sex without a backup, since your body is still just starting to get in the groove with all the pills do to prevent pregnancy.

[ 05-14-2013, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.