Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » safety help for BDSM

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: safety help for BDSM
audreytoo
Activist
Member # 58116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for audreytoo         Edit/Delete Post 
Since I can't seem to find a good website for BDSM safety tips, is it ok if I ask on here?

My partner and I love for her to hold my wrists down during sex - the harder, the more fun for us! But now I have bruising and soreness where she was holding me. It doesn't seem like there is a way to avoid this? I don't like to be cuffed or tied with rope, prefer her bare hands on me, and me "struggling" to get free. Is it ok to just take tylenol the day after we play like this? Or will there be permanent injuries?

Posts: 77 | From: U.S. | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi audreytoo,

This is more of a physical health question, and a little outside our scope as we're not orthopedists. [Smile]

In general, though, if one does something frequently that results in bruising and soreness the likelihood of permanent damage is increased. If one does those things every once in a while, the risk of permanent damage is reduced, but not necessarily eliminated. One thing to also consider is that joints are the most susceptible to injury, so if she's putting pressure directly on your wrist joints, that could, yes, lead to injury.

I agree it's tough to find good, reliable, respectful Web sites providing BDsM education, but there are some excellent books out there. Have you read any of them? If not, would you like some recommendations?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really, in general, if you're getting bruised or it hurts when someone does it, you want to either avoid it or figure out a way to minimize those things.

For example, it might be that your partner can hold you less intensely, but that you two role-play the "struggle" a bit more than it being a real thing, if you follow me.

Or, it might be that you two can try her holding you in a less delicate area of your arms, like holding your forearms or upper arms, where you don't have a whole bunch of smaller bones and more delicate tendons.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
audreytoo
Activist
Member # 58116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for audreytoo         Edit/Delete Post 
It's frustrating because I enjoy the fact that it hurts when we do it, just not the day afterwards!

Yes, I am open to book recommendations. (Although what I've browsed before tends to have advice about tying or restraining people with various instruments like rope, cuffs, tape, etc, which isn't what I'm interested in.)

Posts: 77 | From: U.S. | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.