Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Plan B question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Plan B question
pineapple soda
Neophyte
Member # 107382

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pineapple soda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello! I'm new to this site and I've read through a lot of the articles, including the Pregnancy Scared? and the Emergency Contraception ones. However, I have a more specific question about Plan B, and I'm also looking for some reassurance from a second source.

Earlier this weekend on late Saturday night/early Sunday morning, my partner and I were together and things started to move along pretty quickly. We were both fully naked, and he rubbed the tip of his bare penis against my genital area very briefly (only 2-3 seconds) before getting a condom. There was no penetration and we did not have full vaginal intercourse, and he later ejaculated outside of me, well away from my vagina or vulva and inside the condom. My last period was April 12th, and this happened on April 21st, which was Day 9 of my cycle.

Because there WAS direct genital-to-genital contact, I took Plan B One Step just to be safe. That was on Monday April 22nd, about 38 hours after the risk. Since then I haven't had any side effects except for some very mild cramping, but I have noticed a significant decrease in cervical mucus around the time when I would normally be ovulating. I have very regular 28-29 day cycles, and around the middle of that I usually get a lot of clear, stretchy, “egg-white” mucus. This month after taking Plan B, though, I've barely gotten any mucus at all, with just some scant, thick white discharge. Given the above and what normally happens with me, would you say that this change is a sign that Plan B worked and I'm not ovulating?

I'm aware that the risk of pregnancy here isn't very high and I'm not overly worried about it (nor about STIs, since both of us have been tested and are clean), but every once in awhile this little nagging voice saying “What if I get pregnant anyway?” Again, I suppose I'm really just seeking reassurance and peace of mind.

From the other threads that I've seen so far, I know you guys get a lot of questions like this, and I just wanted to thank you in advance for your help. I really appreciate it! [Smile]

Posts: 10 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi pineapple soda, and welcome to the Scarleteen message boards.

Sadly, there's no way to know if Plan B has worked or not beyond waiting until you can take a pregnancy test. Plan B does impact your ovulation but you can't gauge its effectiveness just by observing your mucus texture. We generally recommend that folks take a pregnancy test after Plan B in general, since it can make menstrual cycles irregular for a few months so waiting for a period isn't always easy to do.

Here's a good article about when/how to take a pregnancy test: Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pineapple soda
Neophyte
Member # 107382

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pineapple soda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the link and for the advice. [Smile]

One last question: what is the probability of a pregnancy occurring from this kind of situation, and exactly how low is it? I know there's no way to be sure without a pregnancy test, but hearing the odds would make me feel a bit more at ease.

Posts: 10 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There just aren't probability tables for this sort of thing, sadly. The best we can do is say "this has a low risk," which you know already.
Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pineapple soda
Neophyte
Member # 107382

Ok. Thanks again!
pineapple soda
Neophyte
Member # 107382

Hi again,

So this morning I woke up with cramps in my lower back, very similar to what I get right before my period but just slightly more mild. I went to the bathroom and when I looked at the toilet paper, there was a small streak of dark reddish-brown blood. Since then, however, the cramps have lessened up, and I haven't had any more bleeding.

Is this a normal effect of Plan B? I've heard that implantation bleeding can occurs 5-7 days after a risk, and it's within the time range for that. However, I have also heard that implantation bleeding is supposed to be light pinkish and not like what I had. Would you mind clearing up the difference between Plan B-triggered bleeding and implantation bleeding?

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Implantation bleeding is really very rare, and spotting and irregular periods after taking Plan B is really quite common. There's really nothing to indicate that this would be implantation bleeding. [Smile] I know you're worried about pregnancy, but you've done everything you can here, and at this point the only thing you can do is wait until taking a pregnancy test would show you an accurate result. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pineapple soda
Neophyte
Member # 107382

Sorry I never replied, it's exam week and things are a little crazy. But I just wanted to let you know that I did end up getting my period shortly after my last post, though it was a lot heavier and a bit shorter than usual. Thanks for all the help! [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.