Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Yeast Overgrowth

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Yeast Overgrowth
Stargirl85
Activist
Member # 26547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stargirl85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can yeast infections affect birth control at all, without meds? I know usually people worry about taking certain medication, but can a vaginal yeast infection or intestinal be cause for concern without medication, since yeast overgrowth kills the good gut flora (which helps the BC absorb), or should women only be concerned about medication because its not more likely to get pregnant just because of an infection?
Posts: 104 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure I understand the second half of your question, but I've never seen anything that would indicate that yeast infections impact the effectiveness of a birth control pill. Certainly if you're having chronic yeast infections it's a good idea to see a doctor or try some lifestyle changes to get them under control, but that's because they're really uncomfortable, not because they'll make your BC pills less effective. Here's an article about yeast infections that might be helpful: Yeast Infections
Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patricia H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patricia H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Stargirl85,

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking here, but if you have an active yeast infection and are taking medications for it, this is information that your reproductive healthcare provider needs to know, as it is possible for medications to affect each other, birth control notwithstanding. Because there are so many variables at play here and can happen, I would like to suggest something as simple as calling up your doctor and/or healthcare provider to have this sorted out. It is possible that he/she can provide you with a birth control medication that won't be affected by yeast infection medication.

--------------------
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum. - Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale

Posts: 234 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.