Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Pregnancy or stress delaying my period?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pregnancy or stress delaying my period?
Skittl3s
Neophyte
Member # 107430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skittl3s         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I'm really new here so I'm so sorry if this in the wrong place. Anyways, I was supposed to get my period yesterday and well, that didnt happen. I've had sex once this month, but it wasn't "normal"...
What happened was that my boyfriend had put his penis inside me but before I could even start enjoying it I quickly remembered that I was fertile and supposed to ovulate the next day so I freaked out and he quickly pulled out. Fortunetly for me, I had my eyes on the clock the whole time and a minute had not even passed from when he put it in to when he took it out.
Now that my period is a day late, I'm freaking out and I have been for the past few days even though my periods rarely come on time anyways. I've been so stressed worrying about possible pregnancy.
I've been nauseous, my breasts have swollen and gotten sore (same as they usually do with PMS), and peeing a lot (which I normally do before my period as well). I get nauseous before my period sometimes but not all the time (my symptoms vary from cycle to cycle). I've already decided that I'm gonna buy a test tomorrow to see if I'm pregnant or not but because my boyfriend was barley inside me and did not ejaculate is it still possible to be pregnant? Or is it probably stress from worrying about it and that stress could be delaying my period?

Posts: 4 | From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Skittl3s and welcome to the Scarleteen message boards,

Were you using any sort of birth control, such as condoms?

Contact between bare genitals, with no birth control used, does pose a risk of pregnancy even if there is no ejaculation.

This doesn't mean that you're pregnant, of course, only that there was a risk.

Do you write down the start dates of your periods? If so, it might help to take a look at them to see what your pattern is. It may be that you're not late at all.

However, since there was a risk, if you don't get your period within a few days, you will want to test for pregnancy.

If you did not use condoms, there is also a higher risk of STI transmission. Are you and your boyfriend up-to-date on your STI testing?

Also, the symptoms you have been experiencing would not be signs of pregnancy. Signs of pregnancy would not show up this early.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skittl3s
Neophyte
Member # 107430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skittl3s         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Robin,

Thanks for replying so quickly. I do track my periods and I am aware of how late they can be as my cycles can be between anywhere from 26-32 days. So there is a chance that it's not even late yet, but for obvious reasons, I am still very stressed out and the fact that my parents have just left for vacation (leaving more stress on me to maintain the house while going to school, worrying about my period, and taking care of our pets), has not helped me one bit.

At the time, we were not using condoms, but he was only inside for a brief moment. We are up to date with our STI testing and we are both clean and have nothing to worry about.

We had sex on the 14th, so is it still possible to be too early for pregnancy symptoms and that it's all in my head?

Posts: 4 | From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The amount of time his penis was in your vagina doesn't matter in terms of risk. The fact that he didn't ejaculate means your risk is low, but not nonexistent.

Since it's only been two weeks or so, you wouldn't likely be having any pregnancy symptoms yet, but those are not a reliable way to know whether you're pregnant anyway. The only way to know for sure is to take a pregnancy test, and enough time has passed that you can do that now if you want.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5721 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it's absolutely too early for the kinds of things you're describing to be attributable to pregnancy. However, you can take a pregnancy test. Pregnancy tests are known to be accurate 14 or more days after a risk.

The amount of time that genitals were in contact is really not a factor in whether or not there can be a pregnancy risk, though there not having been an ejaculation does reduce the risk.

Just a word on STI test results, it's much more sound and respectful for people to say that that they tested negative for STIs then to say they are clean, as describing this state as clean implies that those who currently have STIs, or have had them in the past, are somehow dirty. This couldn't be further from the truth. [Smile]

Since this pregnancy risk has alarmed and stressed you so much, would you like to talk about birth control options?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Just a quick note to tell you that I am headed out for the day, but would be happy to talk with you about any of this when I come back in tomorrow.

[ 04-30-2013, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: Robin Lee ]

--------------------
Robin

Skittl3s
Neophyte
Member # 107430

I've decided that I'm no longer going to have any sex and I told that to my boyfriend and he seemed perfectly happy with it since he hates how stressed out I've been
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

I'm glad to hear you and your boyfriend were able to work this out in a way that works for both of you. [Smile] IN my opinion, it's no fun to be stressed out, so eliminating the source of stress is sound.

--------------------
Robin

Skittl3s
Neophyte
Member # 107430

I'm getting a test today just in case, but now that I'm less stressed, I'm no longer nauseous and my breast swelling and tenderness has gone down too. I'm starting to get my usual PMS cramps, backaches and cravings so I have a feeling that I may get my period soon. Thanks for all the help and info!
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

You're welcome! [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.