Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Fertility testing alternatives

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fertility testing alternatives
Emro
Neophyte
Member # 107262

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This could be the situation out of a bad sitcom: I'm a transgirl, dating a transguy. I am unable to orgasm in almost all situations. I have also been on Hormone Therapy for over a year. He has not been on hormone therapy at all. We haven't had PiV sex yet, but are considering starting

Here is the issue. I do not know if I am still fertile at all or not. And I don't know how I would go about finding out. I assume, but do not know, that a sperm count test requires more than just precum to test. And that's pretty much all I can produce now.

I'm aware that precum in most "males" still is potent, however. I am also aware that there is still a potential risk even now, and that there is no way we are completely safe. I just want to be able to judge the risk.

We are not worried about STI's, we have both been tested recently and shown each other the results.

So, is there some alternative method to accessing "male" fertility without a large sample? Is this something I should ask my local sexual wellness facility instead? I am quite embarrassed to ask my general practitioner.

Thank you!
Edit: expanded idea

[ 05-01-2013, 06:40 AM: Message edited by: Emro ]

Posts: 4 | From: Teneesee | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Emro,

This would be a question for your healthcare provider.

Fertility testing isn't one of our areas of expertise here at Scarleteen, plus your healthcare provider will be able to evaluate your situation based on your medical history, the hormone therapy you've had, etc.

Do you currently have a healthcare provider you can talk this through with?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emro
Neophyte
Member # 107262

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do, but I would have to have my mom drive me there. I am worried and embarrassed about possible questions she might ask, and wanted to ask on the internet first.

Do you know any other online resources that might have more information?

Posts: 4 | From: Teneesee | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, any fertility testing you would have done would need to be conducted by a healthcare provider. There's no DIY (do it yourself) process here.

So one way or another you would eventually need to talk to your Mom about taking you to the doctor. You always do have the option of not sharing with her and just letting her know you have some questions for the doctor that you'd rather not discuss with anyone else.

I will ask around among our volunteers to see if there are any online spaces with accurate information about how transgirls manage medical things like fertility.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emro
Neophyte
Member # 107262

Thank you for your two replies. I guess it is inevitable, and I should arrange an appointment. In the meantime, if you do find something regarding that, please leave it here!
Thanks again

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

You're welcome. Do you want to talk at all about your reluctance to see the doctor about this?

--------------------
Robin

Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Emro,

I agree with Robin that only a doctor will be able to give you a definitive answer here, but when I was in a similar position (when my partner started taking estrogen & androgen blockers but I had not yet started taking testosterone), my doctor encouraged me to stay on my birth control pills because there was still a pregnancy risk involved. So I certainly think it's a good idea to talk to someone about this before you have intercourse with your partner (or use condoms or another birth control method).

Posts: 1316 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.