Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » DRY HUMPING PREGNANCY RISK (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: DRY HUMPING PREGNANCY RISK
MIKERD
Neophyte
Member # 100824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MIKERD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i know this has been asked 10000000 times on here and i have read all of them..it seems that sperm cannot pass through clothes such as 2 pairs of jeans and underwear. is this correct? if a male ejaculates in his underwear and he has jeans on and the female has jeans and underwear on as well, and they were dry humping, is there any way the sperm could possibly impregnate the female just from that???
Posts: 32 | From: NY | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sperm cells aren't 100% in charge of pregnancy no matter what, and my sense is it's when people think that way that they have a hard time understanding how pregnancy does and doesn't happen.

Sperm cells are just one of many parts of a possible or actual pregnancy.

So, yes, you're correct that when people are dressed, pregnancy can't happen. It's about way more than sperm cells, but no, pregnancy cannot happen when people have clothes on.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MIKERD
Neophyte
Member # 100824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MIKERD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thankyou!
and yes i know a woman has to be ovulating while sperm cells are present. and there is generally a 2 day window of the egg being fertilized after it is released. but i just need confirmation that even if the outside of a males pants get a tiny bit wet that there is no way it is making its way through more jeans and underwear.

Posts: 32 | From: NY | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's still more than about ovulating, too! There's a LOT of components to a pregnancy happening.

Since you've read all the 10000000 times this has been answered, you have surely read us making clear that again, like I've said elsewhere and also in my first reply to you, pregnancy cannot occur when people are dressed? Right? [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MIKERD
Neophyte
Member # 100824

Your right! I truly am being silly I just never could find a definite answer. But that's it. Pregnancy just isn't possible through several pairs of clothing. It can't be done. Thankyou very much for your help. Your a life saver haha [Razz]
Heather
Member # 3

I'm positive we've got a whole lot of posts, articles and columns that make clear people with clothes on can't get pregnant. [Smile]

But I'm glad it seems the message got through!

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

MIKERD
Neophyte
Member # 100824

Yes! thankyou very much. i feel like this is the first time i am geting an answer that i can truly trust and is actually easing my mind. although i must apologize for posting once again about a pregnancy risk. i noticed that you have an overload of this same exact question but i needed this personal response and reassurance. and let me tell you it helped alot! i am very grateful for your help. but one more thing, are you educated in this topic? obviously i trust you, but a bit of background would be great! [Smile] thanks again for your help!
Heather
Member # 3

I've been working in sex education and sexual health now for around 15 years, and I've been teaching now for over 20. [Smile]

But you can certainly review my bio and CV if you like, I keep it public for people who want to check credibility, which is always a good thing to do with anyone you're getting information from: http://www.scarleteen.com/the_scarleteen_staff_volunteers

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

MIKERD
Neophyte
Member # 100824

wow thats great thanks! so this is the end to all my worries. so It is impossible to get a woman pregnant through her clothing? completely? i am 100% safe? i have been stressing over this for too long. i am glad that i learned from this because there is no risk, and i learned A LOT through research and self experience. this is a great experience for me to learn from before i actually did something terrible! thank you so much! [Wink]
Heather
Member # 3

No trouble, and yes, pregnancy cannot happen to you via sex where you are dressed.

Just like, for example, someone can't get food poisoning without actually eating something.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

MIKERD
Neophyte
Member # 100824

Cool! So I'm worry free. So why is it impossible for this to happen? Just curious. Might as well learn all I can
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI There,

This article on how reproduction will likely answer your why. Have a look through it and if you need any more clarification, let us know. [Smile]

Where DID I Come From? A Refresher Course in Human Reproduction

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MIKERD
Neophyte
Member # 100824

So this article kinda said that if there are clothes as a barrier between semen/sperm and a vagina, then there is not a likely risk of pregnancy. I was just told that there is NO risk. This is where I become confused..???
MIKERD
Neophyte
Member # 100824

So this article kinda said that if there are clothes as a barrier between semen/sperm and a vagina, then there is not a likely risk of pregnancy. I was just told that there is NO risk. This is where I become confused..???
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi MIKERD. I understand that the phrasing of that might be confusing, but the article is basically saying what heather said to you. So there's no need to worry! And sorry for the confusion [Smile]
Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MIKERD
Neophyte
Member # 100824

So basically the article is saying the risk is impractical?
MIKERD
Neophyte
Member # 100824

So basically the article is saying the risk is impractical? Thanks for the support too
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep! And no problem!
Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MIKERD
Neophyte
Member # 100824

I still am confused about why it is impossible for Soren to travel through clothes. Periodically I begin to worry about this whole situation and I believe that understanding it to the fullest will help get rid of my worrying. I do have a rather irrational way of worrying but Im aware and do my best to work around it! Thank you for the support I hope someone will help me out soon. [Big Grin]
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you fill me in on what is confusing to you? I think it would be helpful to you to read the Where Did I Come From piece again. so how about doing that, then if you still have specific questions you can let us know what they are and we can help you work through figuring this out.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MIKERD
Neophyte
Member # 100824

so i re read the article. and it does say that if there is a barrier between semen and a vagina such as clothes or denim then there isn't a likely risk. So its saying that the sperm cant get through denim and into a woman to impregnate her? correct? i am confused because i was told that pregnancy cant happen with clothes on. although i never really got strong reasoning as to why sperm cant go through several pairs of clothing. i believe it is true but i dont have proof of that so my mind finds a way to tell me that maybe this one time it did find its way through briefs, khakis, then jeans, and pantis. can it do that?
Heather
Member # 3

MIKERD: I think the thing to focus on with that article with something like this is that pregnancy is hardly just about sperm cells. And sperm calls can't do ANYTHING all by themselves. They need a host of other things and things going on for pregnancy to happen.

One of the things those cells need to create a pregnancy is seminal fluid, which has a few jobs it serves. If fabric absorbs seminal fluid -- as fabric tends to absorb liquid, something we all know just from toweling off after a bath or shower -- these cells not only can't get anywhere, since they can't move on their own without it, but that fluid also wouldn't be around to do things like change the acid/alkaline balance of the vagina, another important aspect of a pregnancy happening.

I think we've given you lots of information that has made very clear what you described is not a sound scenario for a pregnancy. Now it's going to be on you to accept that and do what you need to for yourself to let this fear go, okay?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

P.S. You were already there last week:

quote:
Your right! I truly am being silly I just never could find a definite answer. But that's it. Pregnancy just isn't possible through several pairs of clothing. It can't be done. Thankyou very much for your help. Your a life saver haha
So, go back to that spot and do what you need to do to stay there. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

Ha! Just saw that I typed sperm calls up there. Oops! Sperm cells.

But they also can't make calls by themselves, either. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

MIKERD
Neophyte
Member # 100824

i didnt even notice your mistake above but it gave me a good laugh after you pointed it out. and yes i was at a point where this whole thing didnt cross my mind for almost a whole week and it came back up out of nowhere.

so basically semen isnt just a way of transportation for the sperm, the semen also has to be DEPOSITED INSIDE the vagina and stay with the sperm the entire time to help make its way through and survive?

it seems that you cant help me anymore than you already have considering you have told me several times that this isnt possible, hopefully this is the last of my worries...forever!

and one last thing just another factor that is important in pregnancy, i understand that a woman can ovulate pretty much at ANY time of their cycle. but how common is it for a woman to ovulate a few days before her next period? (i know its very possible) but isnt it MUCH more common earlier in the cycle?

thankyou for all the help!

Heather
Member # 3

(I'm still wondering now if sperm calls are toll-free, or collect. [Razz] )

Semen is pretty complex stuff. It's a huge part of sperm motility, but it also has other work to do, as it were, to create a pregnancy, like by balancing those fluids I talked about, and it also basically works to keep sperm cells intact.

There's no "sperm deposit" (just like no calls). For pregnancy to occur, SEMEN, and semen containing sperm cells, need to come into DIRECT -- not through anything -- contact with someone's vulva or vagina. No need to get hung up on the inside/outside business with this. It's that "direct" and "vulva" part to pay attention to, since that covers this.

The vast majority of people who ovulate will not do so just days before a period. In fact, that's something we generally only see when a fluke happens where someone ovulates twice in a cycle, which can happen, but it's rare. Most people will ovulate around or just before the middle of their menstrual cycles.

But maybe you're someone who would feel a lot better about all of this if you started charting your cycles? Some people do, and it makes all of this a lot more tangible to understand for most people who do it.

http://www.scarleteen.com/blog/heather_corinna/2009/09/17/its_smart_to_chart

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

MIKERD
Neophyte
Member # 100824

Ok so with the jeans and other clothes in the way that "direct" contact isn't possible. Which then takes the seminal fluids out of the question. Leaving pregnancy out of the question as well. And this is only a small component of all the pieces that need to come together to create a pregnancy
Heather
Member # 3

TADA!

Sperm called, it says you get it now. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

MIKERD
Neophyte
Member # 100824

[Big Grin] haha awesome! thank you for all the help (again) haha. i hope that i can say that this is the end to all my worrying! it comes down to the fact that without DIRECT genital to genital contact, pregnancy isnt the slightest bit possible. unless semen gets on the vulva, which is the part that i was worried about. a damp spot of semen on the outside of pants rubbing on the girls pants and getting her pregnant. thats what caused all of this.. but that cant happen, now can it!
Heather
Member # 3

I know you know that answer. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

MIKERD
Neophyte
Member # 100824

Hahaha wow. thanks! [Razz] this isn't even about a pregnancy risk anymore it's about controlling my mind.

So technically if condoms were made of denim, they would be somewhat effective? (Dont worry I would NEVER in a million years try anything like that) I know it sounds stupid. And obviously rubber is better because it is non permeable

Heather
Member # 3

Actually, for much of history, condoms WERE made out of fabric or animal guts, both of which are WAY more permeable than latex (not rubber: no condoms are made out of rubber).

We know they didn't work for jack when it came to infections and diseases, and we also know that they were only so effective at preventing pregnancy. But were they totally INeffective? Nope.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

MIKERD
Neophyte
Member # 100824

Wow really? I did not know that. And sorry I got mixed up since condoms are sometimes refered to as rubbers. And yes I can see how fabric condoms can be a problem hahah.

Well anyway Thankyou for all of the help heather. I truly truly appreciate it and what you are doing by educating people on sex education is a great thing.

I think you will be glad to know that I have learned ALOT from this incident and I am really going to think about my sexual actions before I carry them out. You've been a great help and the rest of this is up to me thanks again! [Smile]

Heather
Member # 3

You're very welcome. [Smile]

It sounds like you're saying you perhaps want to make different sexual choices than you have moving forward, choices you feel more comfortable with. If so, do you want any help with that, or do you feel like you've got that covered?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

MIKERD
Neophyte
Member # 100824

It's not that I want to make DIFFERENT sexual choices. It's just that I was unaware of how easily and quickly some of these risks can present themselves. So I'm saying that now I am aware of those risks and I am going to take precautions before doing something that has risks involved. That's all. But Thankyou for offering.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.