Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » two things pregnancy and infections

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: two things pregnancy and infections
newby29
Neophyte
Member # 106274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newby29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi. I love this website as a newby to all things relationship I find it a great help for me.
two questions please. I have done a lot of research and am a bit of a worry wart....so

both me and fiancé are both virgins and are devout Christians so we are very committed to each other. I am on the pill and have been on it for four months now.
1. when we start to have sex in two months if we have both never had any sexual conduct with anyone else we should both have no worries about any STI's or infections right???
2. being on the pill we wont use condoms due to the convenience and the monogamy. however occasionally I have a little abdominal pain throughout the month and have spotted a couple of times. I am a perfect combined pill user never forgetting or taking it late. I was just wondering if it is our only form of contraception with a little pain and some bleeding is there much possibility that I could get pregnant or are all pill that 99% accurate. (I'm also slightly concerned cause I know the pill I am on is cheapest possible made in India).

sorry its long and probably a bit over the top. but thanks [Smile]

--------------------
Thanks. :b

Posts: 20 | From: australia | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newby29
Neophyte
Member # 106274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newby29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh and one more question. on my four months of being on the pill I have skipped a couple of withdrawal bleeds as I know as the lining of the uterus doesn't build up this isn't dangerous. however the last time I did this a couple of weeks ago I had heavy brown spotting and a bit of constant abdominal pain. is this anything to be worried about? or is this just purely because my body wanted to withdrawal bleed?

--------------------

Posts: 20 | From: australia | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the board, newby! Glad you are finding Scarleteen helpful.

If both of you have never had any sort of sexual contact with anyone else, then your risks of having an STI are low. However, since some STIs can also be transmitted in non-sexual ways, there is never any way to know for sure unless you get tested. It is a good idea to make STI testing a part of your reproductive healthcare even if you are, and plan to be, monogamous.

The pill, when used correctly, is very safe. Occasional abdominal pain or spotting say nothing about the pill's effectiveness. But if you don't feel comfortable using the pill alone, you can always double up with condoms.

Have you gotten the okay from your doctor to take the pill back to back to skip bleeds? We really advise not to make that decision on your own, but to check in with a doctor, first. So if you haven't done that, now is the time to do it.

Spotting is a very common side-effect of skipping withdrawal bleeds.

[ 03-27-2013, 03:43 AM: Message edited by: September ]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newby29
Neophyte
Member # 106274

thanks. one last question. I know that antibiotics effect the pill so does having an upset stomach or throwing up. is there anything else that can effect it?

--------------------

Allie R
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 102566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Allie R     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Essentially, anything that may inhibit/interfere with the absorption of the pill upon taking it. That includes throwing up and certain antibiotics (along with anti-fungals and some supplements, ex. St John's Wort), as you mentioned, and consistent diarrhea.

--------------------
AAR

Posts: 109 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newby29
Neophyte
Member # 106274

thankS [Smile]

--------------------

newby29
Neophyte
Member # 106274

Hi me again [Razz]
so I get married in three weeks and do not want to be bleeding on my honey moon. in my pill cycle I am on at the moment three weeks from my last bleed would be right on my wedding day is the day to start my active pills again. this is ok but I would like to be definitely finished before then. so I was thinking I could have my week break about 3 days earlier. that way I would definitely be finished bleeding and spotting by my wedding day and honey moon. my question is, will doing this mess up any of my cycle in the next month and also does it change the effectiveness of the pill for when I am on my honey moon????

--------------------

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Taking your week break earlier will lower the effectiveness of the pill, yes. In order for the pill to be fully effective, it needs to be taken as directed. Starting your week break earlier will also very likely throw off your cycle a bit, although there's not really any way to know for sure.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you checked in with your gynecologist yet about taking the pill to suppress withdrawal bleed? They are really the best person to ask if this is an okay thing for you to do.

That said, you also cannot really skip out on taking active pills. That means that you'd be missing pills, which lowers effectiveness. The only way you can safely influence your bleeds is by skipping or shortening the withdrawal week.

And lastly, there is no guarantee that messing with your bleed will actually achieve the desired result. You may wind up spotting, or have your bleed anyway.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newby29
Neophyte
Member # 106274

hmm I understand what you are both saying..... as I am not having sex currently what if I had a break very soon then before started having sex made sure the pill was in my system for 7 days? would this be very effective against pregnancy or as I would be shortening this cycle would it be like starting again where it isn't effective for a month???

--------------------

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In order to count on your pill, by itself, as fully effective, you have to take it as directed, and that really is that.

If you talk to your prescribing doctor, they can fill you in on how to do menstrual suppression with your pill, which involves not skipping any active pills, or shortening them, but instead taking active pills back to back without a placebo pill break. That doesn't guarantee you won't have spotting or your withdrawal bleed, but it makes it much less likely.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newby29
Neophyte
Member # 106274

yeah I understand . from all that I have been reading on shortening withdrawal bleeds and the likelihood of this not working the way I would like before my wedding, I think I will just take my next pack straight away and hope for the best as this will offer me the best coverage for my honeymoon.

--------------------

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also? It truly won't be the end of the world if you have your period on your honeymoon, I promise. You'll likely have periods or withdrawal bleeds at least a few times in your life during Very Important Things, some of them sexual, and it will be just fine.

You can still engage in sex and likely still do everything else you want to do. people do those things with periods all the time. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newby29
Neophyte
Member # 106274

Sorry to bug you guys again. Is it true u can get ovulation pain even on the combination pill ?

I have had a little pain today on one side only just trying to work out if I should be worries about ovulation in my current situation?

--------------------

Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're using the pill properly, you shouldn't be ovulating at all -- so there'd be no cause of ovulation pain. So, if you're taking the pill on time without missing any, you can be pretty sure it's working effectively and there would be no ovulation to speak of [Smile]
Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newby29
Neophyte
Member # 106274

Any idea what the pain is then? Just something else?
Anyway to tell if I am ovilating? Like secretion changes?

--------------------

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI There,

To know if you are ovulating you'd have to have tracked your basal body temperature and cervical mucus every day for several months. Here's some information on doing that if you'd like to start:

Get With the Flow: All About FAM

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi newby, I just wanted to point out that you can't actually use FAM because that is for charting your natural fertility cycle. But because you are on the pill, that cycle is being suppressed. You have no ovulation TO chart.
Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Onionpie is right. I must have had a brain glitch in suggesting FAM; my apologies for the misinformation.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newby29
Neophyte
Member # 106274

that's ok. I knew that [Razz] I had just heard that sometimes you can have ghost ovulation pains??

--------------------

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never heard of ghost ovulation pain. But cramps can be a side effect of the pill, and pain that feels like ovulation pain can also be due to any number of non-reproductive-related things.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newby29
Neophyte
Member # 106274

yeah I thought so. it definitely didn't last as long so I guess it was something else.

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.