Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Birth Control, Condoms, and Bleeding

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth Control, Condoms, and Bleeding
Anon12ab
Neophyte
Member # 107388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anon12ab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey,

I recently became sexually active after being on the Ring for a little over a year. I choose to do the 4week stacking method, but now I am contemplating doing the 3on/1off method.

My partner and I always use condoms as a backup method, but I still am anxious about things.

Two questions:
1. Last night when withdrawing, the condom came off, but the lip of the condom stayed outside my vaginal opening, if that makes sense. So it did not completely go inside. What sort of risk am I at for pregnancy? I just have trouble having full faith in the Ring.

2. I just inserted a new ring two days ago and am experiencing a combination of bleeding. When I stack, typically I can get brown discharge when my body wants to have a period, usually after three or so months. But this bleeding is also accompanied by a little red, fresh blood. Should I be worried about anything? I figured that blood is just breakthrough bleeding as well or as a result of being new to sex.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI Anon12ab
and welcome to Scarleteen,

The benefit of using two contraceptive methods is that if one is compromised at all, you have the other one to depend on. You might find it helpful to read this information on the effectiveness of combining methods:

The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method

Have you talked to your healthcare provider about whether stacking is a good option for you?

There's no way for us to know what the bleeding is from. How long has it been going on and is it still happening?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.